22 May 2017 Seitan (Removing chewiness)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/May%202017/22%20May%202017%20Seitan/HTML/ 22 May 2017 Seitan
Basic Seitan when baked is too chewy. It is much improved by adding equal amounts of soy bean flour when mixing the dough for baking and enhances the protein content. Soy flour commercially comes in several versions. I now make my own soy flour by de-hulling the beans, dehydrating until dry, then blending into a fine powder. Equal amounts of wheat gluten and soy flour are used. Cooked, the balls are a soft pleasant rich protein source. Much of the chewiness of just using the wheat protein is removed.
dsc_7178_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Wouldn't it be great if it could be filled in with something, it reminds me of wonton soup. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Of course, I just have the basic making of seitan. One could make the balls smaller and use them. They could be steamed. The basic seitan has numerous recipes on the internet. They are an ideal source of rich protein and my method of adding soy flour enhances it. Instead of soy flour, rice flour would probably work, and even wheat flour, which I haven't tried.

Ask a Question