26 May 2017 Tempeh

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/May%202017/26%20May%202017%20Tempeh/HTML/ 26 May 2017 Tempeh
A batch of tempeh was made. Each loaf is half a pound and they are perfect. Fermentation was 24 hours. The starter was from Cultures for Health. A new stock of culture was ordered on line, since my home made culture is unreliable to some degree and the expense to buy bulk starter is the most economic route at this time. Even without further cooking the slices are very pleasant. It is the most pleasant method to ingest soy beans that I have encountered. The rival method is making natto.
dsc_7243_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It raises estrogen levels in men.
3333%2B%25285%2529.gif
3333%2B%252811%2529.gif

It's a great food, men have enough testosterone secretions to counteract it. Do you know effect over production of testosterone?

In a way, soya protein help in hair growth, protect you from heart diseases, ,improve body tone, skin, good for digestive system, kidney, and supports overall body metabolism.

Important point is, it's protein and it's not meat.

3333%2B%252832%2529.gif
Good for environment,
er334%2B%25281%2529.gif

it's leguminous in nature, improve soil rather than depleting it.

3333%2B%252824%2529.gif
Choose ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I haven't gone a day in the last 45 years or so without eating soy beans. For years cooked and pureed. but always conscientious that they were much improved by fermenting.

I was the one who introduced making Natto making at home around 15 years ago. I believe I was the first who developed that method. The Japanese learned from me. They always said it couldn't b done. Now I can make it at will, but do not find Natto particularly pleasant. Tempeh to me is the ideal method of ingesting soy beans, which I only learned about recently and now have making of it perfected.

When I first visited Japan, about 45 year ago, I immediately saw Natto and queried about making it, but got thoroughly discouraged so never tried it at the time.

A great motivator is observing the obesity amongst the general population. There has to be something wrong with the food we are eating. I have changed completely from our traditional diet with what I believe are major improvements. I am not a vegetarian but tend towards plant food. Nor am I fanatical about consumption and partake of most and all at times. In other words I consider our commercial food supply to be highly suspect.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Agree, now a days ingredients as well as recipes are available throughout internet, only one needs patience and skill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
What is there to be said? One isolated case and suddenly a product in soy is the culprit. May I suggest there are exceptions to most activities in human endeavors. America would starve without corn and soy and SUGAR.

Must go and buy a brassiere after checking on the current batch of tempeh which is fermenting.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What is there to be said? One isolated case and suddenly a product in soy is the culprit. May I suggest there are exceptions to most activities in human endeavors. America would starve without corn and soy and SUGAR.

Must go and buy a brassiere after checking on the current batch of tempeh which is fermenting.

Dude, its more common than that. It is a scientific fact that it raises estrogen levels in men. I am a weightlifter. I have been working out for 35 years. No way I am eating that crap unless I am starving. Enjoy your bewbs! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
So I am married. To a woman. There are much better sources of protein. I will continue to abstain.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

Nice article!

Article says, "Price also acknowledges that his body may have an above-average sensitivity to soy’s phytoestrogens."

I would not consider him as a good test subject with so many flaws.

As a weightlifter, you should be aware of the effect of eating unbalanced diet and getting it checked by dietitian once in awhile.

"Too much of anything is bad!"

Ask a Question