Is this a weed or flower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b Central Illinois
Country
United States
(see image) this has been growing at the corner of my house for as long as I can remember. I've always wondered what they were, they grow in clusters. And also what it the proper name for it, flower or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20150411_151132.jpg
    IMG_20150411_151132.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 371

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They're called Muscari or Grape Hyacinth. They spread slowly in clumps but easily controllable as you probably know. I got some last year from a relative. The Bumble Bees really enjoy them.

Reaction score
I don't consider those weeds, in that place where I used to leave they just thrived and always thought of them of beautiful plants and not weeds. I mean, you should see the ugly weeds that grow in this desert! Nothing pretty about them! Wish I lived in a place like New Zealand... where they have things like Calla Lilies that grow like wild weeds :p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One of the first flowers I bought when I was about 7 years old, remember them being 1 penny a bulb :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have these too, and they are very pretty to see, plus I love the purple color. My neighbor has them grown along the side wall of her garage, and they made such beautiful border.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We actually planted these at the house we used to live in. They are definitely not weeds, but they will spread a lot. I think they are quite beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree, it's not a weed:)
I love grape hyacinths, they grow in my parents' garden too. Bees and butterflies seem to really like them:)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A weed for some, is a flower for others.

Very true in all circumstances. To some a weed is a plant that spreads too aggressively. To others a weed is something that isn't native. Most commonly, and ironically, native wildflowers are often called weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b Central Illinois
Country
United States
Well it hasnt really spread anywhere there is maybe 4-5 total clusters. But can i move them? I want to put them at the side of the house cause i think they would look better there. I just mean how would i go about moving them... I dont have much of a green thumb ^_^

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well it hasnt really spread anywhere there is maybe 4-5 total clusters. But can i move them? I want to put them at the side of the house cause i think they would look better there. I just mean how would i go about moving them... I dont have much of a green thumb ^_^

Just dig em right up. They're really easy to dig up and move. They grow from little bulbs. You might want to wait until they're done flowering since moving them now can prevent flowering this year or shorten flowering time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b Central Illinois
Country
United States
Just dig em right up. They're really easy to dig up and move. They grow from little bulbs. You might want to wait until they're done flowering since moving them now can prevent flowering this year or shorten flowering time.
Okay, thank you! =]

Ask a Question