Yard "weed" purple flower Michigan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have this growing all over my yard (creeping in from my neighbors yard)
The leafs are fuzzy, green, and purple. It's vine like.

I attached some photos:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 2,238
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 1,593
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 6,968
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Did you gently rub a leaf between your fingers and find a fragrance in the leaf? Is the stalk square? It looks square to me. If the leaf is fragrant and the stalk square, it is likely to be some kind of mint. This is just a guess, but it looks like a mint to me. Someone else will come along soon who will know more about the plant than i do. Welcome to the forums @Anny:)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The flower makes me think it's something in the mint family. There are many plants in the mint family that grow here in the US, some native, some not native. I don't recognize this one, so it could be a non-native, invasive plant. Almost all plants in the mint family are known for their spreading. Ass Beverly said, you're likely to get a scent if you rub it, although not necessarily the typical "mint" smell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
JB said ...Ass Beverly...

Really, @JBtheExplorer ...Ass Beverly? I am crushed:eek::ROFLMAO: I don't know why i can't find the "quote" trigger. Can someone please tell me how to do a "quote"? Oh, maybe i just copy a portion of what i want to quote from a prior post?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I have this plant growing in a shaded woody area beside my home. I have been trying to identify it as well. Yesterday I used a flower identification book and was able to identify it as "purple dead nettle". And it is a member of the mint family. I am slowly but surely trying to identify all the plants that grow on my homestead. Run a goggle image search for purple dead nettle and see if you agree it's the same plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the plant I identified as "purple dead nettle".

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 472
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, Purple Dead-nettle (Lamium purpureum) in the Mint family (Lamiaceae). It is native to Europe, Siberia and northwestern Africa. It is a common weed in North America.

Ask a Question