Is this a pepper plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Getting ready to clear another bed and I know most things are weeks, but I'm thinking this guy might be a pepper plant? I know I had some peppers in there last year and I didnt get a chance to clear everything before winter hit. Figured I'd ask before I rip it out this weekend.

plant_zpsbfa4cf69.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't think so. All of the peppers I am familar with have wider more pear shaped leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Showed it to a few people and its a 50/50 decision on what it is. Guess I'll leave it for now and see what it turns into

Reaction score
I am quite familiar with most pepper plants, so far this plant looks nothing like most pepper I have seen. I really doubt this is a pepper plant. It looks familiar tho, but right now I can't locate it in my mind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am quite familiar with most pepper plants, so far this plant looks nothing like most pepper I have seen. I really doubt this is a pepper plant. It looks familiar tho, but right now I can't locate it in my mind.
I have seen this somewhere too but can't remember where. I want to say herb but it is probably a flowering plant of some kind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Showed it to a few people and its a 50/50 decision on what it is. Guess I'll leave it for now and see what it turns into
Have you pinched a leaf, crushed and smelled it? I have some basil about that size and it looks remarkably the same

Reaction score
It doesn't look like a pepper plant to me and I have grown a wide variety of peppers over the years. They usually grow up as a single stalk with a few pairs of leaves and split higher up with a first flower bud in the crotch of the bifurcation. The leaves don't look right either.

pepper.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If its a flower the seeds traveled quite a way to their final location. I dont have flowers in my back yard and neither do any of the neighbors.

Herb is possible I'll have to pluck a leaf next time I'm out there

Reaction score
It looks like smartweed to me, I have way too much of it growing around here. I have seen two different growth types, but it is all the same plant. I have even seen a few plants reach about 8 feet tall. most of them, if left to grow get a couple feet tall. It's evil, rip it all out while you can. Once it seeds you end up with millions of plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Its going to come out this weekend no matter what it is.. I need the space for other things

Reaction score
Doesn't look like a pepper plant to me at all. The leaves look a little "waxy". Have fun planting this weekend!

Ask a Question