Is this a hibiscus tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a picture of the leaves and buds of a tree near my house and was wondering if it’s a hibiscus? I’m from Pittsburgh area in the US.
505208AB-98E0-4548-A4B3-B1A45A210CEA.jpeg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm 95% sure it is; but I could be wrong. More like a shrub. Judging from the seedheadd and leaf shape, quite possible. A real asset. Tough perennial and yet a consistent performer and just requires sunny aspect and free draining soil!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It’s not necessarily a tree it does have a shrub appearance to it 6-7 feet tall. I have asked on other forums and they say rose of Sharon hibiscus. Just wanted to see as many opinions as I can on what it is.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Definitely looks like hibiscus leaves, though probably a hybrid to live in Pittsburgh since hibiscus is tropical.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This looks like Hibiscus. The leaf is right, and the seedpods are as well. There are a few varieties. Here in the UK we have grown the Syriacus Hibiscus which is very hardy, and survives low temperatures well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The photo in the OP does indeed show the leaves and old fruit of a cultivar of Rose-of-Sharon Hibiscus (Hibiscus syriacus).
This deciduous shrub or very small tree, in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae), is originally native to eastern China and Taiwan, not Syria, as the specific epithet might suggest. It is now grown in all temperate regions for its beautiful Summer and Autumn blossoms.

Ask a Question