Is my arrowhead dying ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am a relatively new indoor plant owner. I’ve had my arrowhead for a year now before it was very healthy with many leaves and now after the summer it’s quit limp and i’ve noticed tiny brown insects in the soil. I thought it maybe because I have changed it’s position in my room, but I have a south west facing room and it gets moderate light. What should I do, does anyone have any advice ?

This is its new position in my room...

44226015-8BBE-4D0B-A271-58A6CA53A54F.jpeg

D65B872F-3672-4F94-B6F7-5EB1CE732A27.jpeg

714D014A-FCA3-4255-AFFF-C0D5DE159B3C.jpeg
59D2E412-AE89-4B2F-A3A8-37FE7A8CF0D0.jpeg

I wasn’t able to catch the bugs I saw on the top layer of soil. I wasn’t quite sure what the white powdery substance was on the base of the stems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Joy_08 and welcome to the forum.

Your plant looks as if it has been over watered, and in this case may be suffering from root rot. Although these plants are not too fussy about getting lots of light, they like to dry out pretty much between waterings.
Just a further note..... this plant is best kept well away from pets and children as it is poisonous :eek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Joy_08 and welcome to the forum.

Your plant looks as if it has been over watered, and in this case may be suffering from root rot. Although these plants are not too fussy about getting lots of light, they like to dry out pretty much between waterings.
Just a further note..... this plant is best kept well away from pets and children as it is poisonous :eek:

Thank you @Tetters ,

Okay noted, I’ll have to water less frequently especially now as winter is approaching. What should I do about the root rotting and the bugs I saw in the soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a chance that your plant will die now that the roots are rotting. The only thing I can think of to do is to take the whole plant out of the compost and see if you can find a healthy piece of root before it's too late. Then you need a clean new pot and some fresh compost to put the salvaged piece into.
The bugs may be larvae left by a fly - the maggots like to eat rotting vegetation.
If this were my plant, I would ditch it and treat myself to a new one and start again I think. Good luck!

If you can find one, the Hessayon ''expert'' book on houseplants will give you a really good insight on how to take care of your plants - well worth a read. The kind of compost and amount of watering for individual plants is all important to know about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a chance that your plant will die now that the roots are rotting. The only thing I can think of to do is to take the whole plant out of the compost and see if you can find a healthy piece of root before it's too late. Then you need a clean new pot and some fresh compost to put the salvaged piece into.
The bugs may be larvae left by a fly - the maggots like to eat rotting vegetation.
If this were my plant, I would ditch it and treat myself to a new one and start again I think. Good luck!

If you can find one, the Hessayon ''expert'' book on houseplants will give you a really good insight on how to take care of your plants - well worth a read. The kind of compost and amount of watering for individual plants is all important to know about.
I'd like to know more about the book you were

auntiecindi

My Waffle KITTY !
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am wondering if your Arrowhead is surviving. I was thinking that taking cuttings would have been a good choice for saving it. Have you tried propagating by cutting below a node and rooting some in water.

Ask a Question