my garden is dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
one plant, shrub or tree after another is getting the following disease. it starts with brownish red tips, that slowly crawls inwards and take over entire branches. this is happening to my peonies, hydregeanas, and dogwood trees. all close by each other. also my ferns, although they're at another side of the garden I think they might have anoother problem. I do have fungus rust problems in some spots like my black eyed susies. I haven't fertilized much this year. I do see some small microsopic flying things sometimes and what looks like pieces of cobweb, but not like the webworms, just like a string here and there. could be unrelated.

I'm in 6a 6b garden zone in warwick new york

Attachments

• IMG_6445.JPG
    IMG_6445.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_6446.JPG
    IMG_6446.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6447.JPG
    IMG_6447.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_6448.JPG
    IMG_6448.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 160
  • fern.jpeg
    fern.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 163
  • japanesetree.jpg
    japanesetree.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 143
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What temperatures are you experiencing and what is your sunrise and sunset time? Your question is broad, over many plants that look good other than the browning. But it is fall after all, and your fall comes much earlier than ours here in Alabama. It has been very dry as well, and those symptoms could be moisture related as well.

Last edited:

TaprootHydro

Taproot Hydroponics
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I agree that it is very likely to be a product of the season.
You mentioned you did not fertilize this year. When I see redding and browning leaves that are not attributed to the onset of fall I think of Phosphorus and Potassium deficiency. These elements drive root and stalk development and help boost your plants' immune systems against pests.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know exactly what it is and I have seen this before, its due to excess phosphorus buildup in the soil. Alkaline soils can already have high amounts of Phosphorus and when you add Miracle Grow fertilizer every year for years you can get nutrient lockout. Thats why its getting everything and not just one plant because the soil is toxicated. The best thing you can do in a situation like this is not to fertilize using Phosphorus for the next five years. If you do you will get what you are getting this year. Good luck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know exactly what it is and I have seen this before, its due to excess phosphorus buildup in the soil. Alkaline soils can already have high amounts of Phosphorus and when you add Miracle Grow fertilizer every year for years you can get nutrient lockout. Thats why its getting everything and not just one plant because the soil is toxicated. The best thing you can do in a situation like this is not to fertilize using Phosphorus for the next five years. If you do you will get what you are getting this year. Good luck

Thank you. too much phosphorus or too little? I didn't fertilize at all last year....It does look like the plants are not getting enough nutrients. Would a soil test tell me if I have nutrient lockout?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes a soil test will give you what you need to know so you can be sure. I worked in the landscaping business a long time and this happened to me more times than once. Here is a soil test showing a very high amount of phosphorus I took a couple of years ago. The only way to know for sure is get a soil test and it only costs about $27. The problems you have, are affecting a lot of different plants that use different amounts of micro nutrients and that tells me your soil is toxic.

Attachments

• IMG_1284.JPG
    IMG_1284.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 102
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes a soil test will give you what you need to know so you can be sure. I worked in the landscaping business a long time and this happened to me more times than once. Here is a soil test showing a very high amount of phosphorus I took a couple of years ago. The only way to know for sure is get a soil test and it only costs about $27. The problems you have, are affecting a lot of different plants that use different amounts of micro nutrients and that tells me your soil is toxic.

YOU WERE RIGHT! got my soil test results back. High Phosphorous and high everything. ( see attached results). so should I not fertilize at all for a long time? I just added a few inches of compost.... What about nitrogen? egg shells? coffee grounds? fireplace ashes? I'm only asking because over the winter I saved up buckets of these things...
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 9.31.09 AM.png

Ask a Question