Is it blight??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have the sun gold tomato plant that's in a sticky situation. Everything was normal. it has flower clusters and is growing tomatoes, but I have been noticing that the leaves would start getting a moldy tint in the middle (it rubs off) then it gets yellow. It looks really ugly. It was first happening on the bottom, but it is spaced throughout the plant. I never had blight before this specific variety. I will upload pictures soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2453.JPG
IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No, it isn't early blight. It is downy mildew. Spray with potassium bicarbonate or baking soda every week. Spread plants further apart. Cover the soil with mulch. Remove severely affected parts of the plant as they occur.
The spray mixture is 1 heaping tablespoon baking soda and 1 tablespoon of Neem per gallon of water
It could possibly also be powdery mildew. They are both treated the same

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

I just checked the other tomatoes, and it HAS started spreading! I sprayed my whole garden with the solution you recommended. I'm really happy I caught this earlier! Thank you, for the umpteenth time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I hand water with a watering can.

I have a little update on the plants. I guess I put too much baking soda and the leaves were burnt when I checked this morning. I'm too scared to use baking soda on them again. Is there another, possibly more safer solution?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I hand water with a watering can.

I have a little update on the plants. I guess I put too much baking soda and the leaves were burnt when I checked this morning. I'm too scared to use baking soda on them again. Is there another, possibly more safer solution?
Using a watering can will not wet the roots sufficiently unless you use can after can. Use your hose and just barely turn it on and let it go for awhile. Baking soda won't burn anything. I don't know what burned the leaves but it wasn't a tablespoon of soda in a gallon of water. Anyway, it is better to have a few burnt leaves than to loose the entire plant to mildew. There isn't anything safer except maybe hydrogen peroxide.

It is always better to water from the bottom up.

How much Neem did you add and what time of day did you apply the soda mixture. You NEVER use oils on a plant in the heat of a sunny day. Do it early or late not in the middle of the day or hot afternoon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I use can after can. I load the pot with water, and I make a small opening in the drainage hole so it slowly drips out.

I used a tablespoon of baking soda in a half gallon spray bottle.

I applied the solution at the end of the day.

Florida is VERY humid and that can pretty much explain why this happened.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Use a foliar spray of milk diluted with water, one milk to five water.
I always use cheap mineral water, as it has a stated pH and use one with a pH above 7.
(Really small cost if you think about buying fungicides)
The mildew spores won't open in the alkaline environment.
It won't repair the damage that's already happening, but will stop new damage.

Ask a Question