Blight, brown spot, how bad?

IPA

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a picture of a weeping willow leaf. I am guessing it's blight. I cut back a lot this spring to allow air flow but it didn't seem to help. I also have 2 corkscrew willow with the same. I am thinking they all need to be cut down. The weeping willow is over my pond so I cannot treat it with anything topical, if that is the right term.
The yard is fenced in and although it is large, I still seem to have a lot of fungus issues. I am in zone 8a and it's very humid.
Thanks for any help.
IMG_0761.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO here is what you should do. At this time of year the leaves will soon start to fall. Do nothing to the tree but rake up the old leaves and burn them. Then sprinkle whole ground cornmeal around the base of the trees out to the drip line. Then when spring comes apply more cornmeal and spray the bare trees with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and neem oil. I would spray 4 oz of hp and 2 oz of neem per gallon of water. Do this first as the leaf buds start to open and once a month there after. If the fungus should reappear spray with a copper based spray. This type of fungus normally does not really harm the tree but it is very unsightly. I have a 1/2 acre pond surrounded by willows and mine have had the same thing 3 or 4 times during the last 20+ years.

Ask a Question