Invasive Plants In Your Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have you ever found an invasive plant pop up in your garden or was planted there by the previous owners/renters? I had to help my neighbor rip out some water hyacinth from an old pond because it was leaking into the waterways. She got a fine for it even though it was planted before the plant was considered invasive. It was such as sad thing to pull out such pretty flowers but they're really aggressive and she doesn't want to get fined.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We are growing crab grass in our backyard for a small lawn. But there is another kind of grass that is similar to crab grass. We call it impostor because it is so difficult to identify between the 2 types of grasses. But this impostor grows fast and develops runners so it spreads. What we do is to pull it by hand. However, when one impostor is left, it will easily spread in a month or two. Last weekend we had cleaned the backyard of the impostor, leaving only the crab grass. Let us see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I do have a ground cover that can run amuck too much. A little is nice. but every year I, am with my spade digging some up and tossing them in the burn pile.. We did let them do their thing in the woods. and that reminds me today would be a good day to spend 30 mins doing just that.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
I always pull those plats out my lawn whenever I see them, these are really annoying because they come out right after it rains so I have to clear the lawn every sunday to keep it clear from weed and these annoying plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I do have a ground cover that can run amuck too much. A little is nice. but every year I, am with my spade digging some up and tossing them in the burn pile.. We did let them do their thing in the woods. and that reminds me today would be a good day to spend 30 mins doing just that.
I agree Esther....."30 minutes of weed removing a day keeps the weeds away" sort of:mad::(;).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have tons of bittersweet in my forsythia hedge. We also have an opportunistic ash tree that is like 30 feet tall now which will be taken down in the winter. And there are many ash tree seedlings in my forsythia hedge too. We also have barberry mixed in with our forsythia hedge which I think the previous owner planted. I want take those damn things out!! I espcially hate bittersweet vines. They are so hard to remove from the victim plant once twined around. Don't get me started with crabgrass. Our whole lawn is crabgrass and not actual grass. I hate those things, I usually put bricks over it so they die eventually.

Now there are some invasive plants in our garden that I cherish. We have petasites which I absolutely love. I love their leaf shape and how big they get and most importantly they taste so good! We also have a rose of sharon that is seeding itself all over the place but I still like them nonetheless because of their pretty flowers. Then we also have a garden of shiso plants(perilla) which is quite invasive but we love picking the leaves and eating it. In fact that particular garden bed is half petasites and half shiso plants. And then lastly we have raspberries but everyone knows the raspberry family is all invasive lol

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
One of the invasive plants in my area is Lantana camara (I know it only by its botanical name). The intriguing thing about these plants is that they are very resistant to adversity and proliferate very fast. Ferns are particularly hard to eliminate. The best approach to solve this problem is to eliminate them as soon as one pops up.

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela, Bolivarian Republic Of
Invasive plants have always been a problem for me because I find them quite irritating in the way that they get in the way of me trying to make my garden look beautiful, it would seem that no matter what I do they always come back, and not to mention all the hassle that I have to go through. I don't have much time to tend to my garden and even less when I find this type of plants, I get upset.

Ask a Question