Purple Invasive Weed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone knows the name of this weed? I cannot see any similar on the web. Trying to find a way to get rid of it.
20170420_162348.jpg
20170420_162355.jpg
20170420_162405.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Andika, it`s good to see you on the forums. This is not a plant that we see as a problem here in the UK, but it reminds me of Tradescantia. Here we grow it as a pot plant - and there are a few different varieties.
I might -of course be very wrong, but it may be worth checking out. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Was it just mowed? Need to let it grow, then take a pic, much easier to ID. Looks like I'm seeing stolons for this plant, so not sure it's Tradescantia...but maybe the stolons are part of the grass...hard to tell:confused:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Larisa ! That looks about right - isn`t Callisia repens another member of the spiderwort family ? Maybe that is why it reminded me of Tradescantia :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yes Larisa ! That looks about right - isn`t Callisia repens another member of the spiderwort family ? Maybe that is why it reminded me of Tradescantia :confused:
I looked into it and it turns out you're right. When you say, "Tradescantia", I automatically think of Spiderwort type plants as seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradescantia

However, after looking into Callisia, it seems like it is a type of spiderwort, which I didn't know... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callisia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! I googled it up and Callisia repens really looks like my plant. I guess it's not a weed normally it is only a problem if it grows in the middle of the grass. I wonder how to get rid of it....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think I would just dig it all out if you don`t like it there, and re seed the grass. It would be far better than using poison.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
wild petunias

Ruellia - this plant, which is grown in pots here and taken care of. :D Maybe a little different, but it looks like it.

To be honest, I also do not see much difference between Tradescantia, Callisia or Setcreasea. :D This is one family of plants. They are sold under different names. But if I saw the inscription "mini Tradescantia" on the pot with the collision, I would not be surprised. Often grow a collision with pink leaves. In my opinion, it is a bit more capricious.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ruellia - this plant, which is grown in pots here and taken care of. :D Maybe a little different, but it looks like it.

To be honest, I also do not see much difference between Tradescantia, Callisia or Setcreasea. :D This is one family of plants. They are sold under different names. But if I saw the inscription "mini Tradescantia" on the pot with the collision, I would not be surprised. Often grow a collision with pink leaves. In my opinion, it is a bit more capricious.

"Callisia is related to the Tradescantia family and is sometimes mistakenly named as such. Most of the group either spread or trail as with the Tradescantias, but they differ basically in that they have succulent foliage, though they have the same basic make-up of flowers – having three petals. The flowers are generally insignificant."

Ask a Question