Info/Tips For 7-10 Ft. Flowering Shrubs In Zone 5

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone-5
Country
United States
Hello everyone!
We have put up a really neat deck between our house and garage. I had my husband put up lattice and now I'd like to plant some shrubs that will also act as a screen. We have neighbors really close on that side and we'd like to have total privacy as far as sight goes.
Does anyone have ideas for shrubs that would be at least 7 feet tall (at the lowest), possibly flowering or as visually pretty as possible? The area is well-drained, on the north-west corner of the house, and gets at least 6-8 hours of sun daily. These would be planted around 7-10 feet back from the house foundation. I prefer something that grows quickly, too.
Thank-you for all your help.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
How about pyracantha? It has lots of tiny blossoms in the spring, and bright berries in the autumn. It's evergreen and can be trained into a screen shape - we have some growing against a fence and it's beautiful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone-5
Country
United States
Thank-you for replying, Becky. I'll keep that on my list. I don't know if I want something that has thorns though.
I'm also trying to keep my list (for this area) free of anything that attracts bees. My bad; I forgot to include that in my post. My daughter is scared of bees. I wondered about butterfly bushes for this deck area. Or maybe hydrangea or bridal wreath flowering shrub, but I didn't know if they would get as tall as I wanted (nothing less than 7-8 feet tall).
I do plan on planting flowers that bees will use, just not in this area. I'm pretty "green" when it comes to outdoor landscaping so I really appreciate the forums expertise. Please keep the ideas coming. I try to stop in here at least once a day. My daughter is homeschooled so that keeps me pretty busy.
We plan on trying to sell this residence in about four years so I'm trying to get something planted this year and next.
Thank-you again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah ok, that's a fair point. You'll want to stay away from any flowering shrub then, which would rule out the buddleja (butterfly bush) and hydrangea. How about something with interesting variegated evergreen foliage? It will look lovely year round, and would be an attractive alternative to blossoms. How much space do you have there - does it need to be tall and thin or can it be bushy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone-5
Country
United States
Yes, it can be bushy. Let me see, that area has to be at least 10-12 feet wide and I plan on planting at least around 20 feet of them. That amount of length will give us total coverage/privacy.
I will begin looking at those variegated evergreen type shrubs. You know, that would probably be better due to the fact that it wouldn't lose its leaves in the fall/winter....and no bees. LOL I'm getting a visual of the killer bees skit from years ago on Saturday Night Live.
You've been extremely helpful, Becky. Thank-you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You're very welcome! :) How about a variegated rhododendron? Rhododendrons have a relatively short flowering period, so bees shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone-5
Country
United States
I will check those out, Becky! Thank-you again for the ideas and information. I really appreciate. I'm off to look at the specs on rhododendrons. LOL

Ask a Question