Cardamom plant- info required (how to grow, soil etc)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I haven't grown Cardaman, but i would like to:) It is an understory plant that requires partial shade and rich acidic soil. It can be container grown. Before i grow another understory plant, i need to create more top story plants for shade so that is what i am working on now. I did find a site with good information about Cardaman and growing Cardaman:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/cardamom/cardamom-information.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I haven't grown Cardaman, but i would like to:) It is an understory plant that requires partial shade and rich acidic soil. It can be container grown. Before i grow another understory plant, i need to create more top story plants for shade so that is what i am working on now. I did find a site with good information about Cardaman and growing Cardaman:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/herbs/cardamom/cardamom-information.htm

(y) I am trying to collect both the species, brown/black cardamom has stronger aroma and flavour, green/true cardamon with milder aroma & taste, used mostly in making dessert and sweets.

Green pod one will be easily available as processing do not kill the seeds, as in case of black ones.

The guy though whom, I plan to retrieve assured green pod cardamom.

I will update, once I get the plant delivered.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I will have a go with you, @Rajesh! I love Cardamon.. and cloves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Finally, received the plant.
er334%2B%252878%2529.gif

33 (2).jpg 33 (1).jpg

It does not look so good but roots are ok, I think its invasive in nature.
I have to search for flat tray type pot or build one.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Rajesh Can I raise it from the seeds bought from shop?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@Rajesh Can I raise it from the seeds bought from shop?
er334%2B%252870%2529.gif

I think it might work, not sure though, its not processed in oven/ flame or not picked immature from plant. Yep, I guess it might germinate. But only green cardamom can germinate, brown are smoked over flame/oven to increase shelf live.

I don't want to give false hope, better to find it from nursery or online. It takes 2 years to bear fruit/pod/capsule, does better in high altitude, pollinated by certain species bee (complicated flower structure). After taking that into account I think I might not even make it to bear fruit, I am at sea level.

er334%2B%252873%2529.gif

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love your emoji .. gives me such a giggle .. Love it! :ROFLMAO::LOL:;)

Reaction score
Country
India
Well I am from India and both kinds of Cardamoms are easily available and used here. Green pod cardamoms are used in tea, desserts while brown/black pod cardamoms are used in curries.
India is also a major producer of Cardamom.
You need is a moderate and damp climate to grow cardamom. 20-35 degree Celsius. And slightly acidic soil (pH 6-6.8). Use seed starting mix with sand for sowing the seeds. Also do remember to soak the seeds in hot water for 2 days.
Cardamoms take a lot of time to grow, so it is very necessary to be patient. The seeds can take 30-45 days to sprout!
The they require tender care and perfect environment to grow, otherwise they die. But the two most important things to keep in mind is moisture (not too much) and a lot of sunlight.
I learnt a lot from this tutorial. I hope it can help
How to grow Cardamom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
er334%2B%252870%2529.gif

I think it might work, not sure though, its not processed in oven/ flame or not picked immature from plant. Yep, I guess it might germinate. But only green cardamom can germinate, brown are smoked over flame/oven to increase shelf live.

I don't want to give false hope, better to find it from nursery or online. It takes 2 years to bear fruit/pod/capsule, does better in high altitude, pollinated by certain species bee (complicated flower structure). After taking that into account I think I might not even make it to bear fruit, I am at sea level.

er334%2B%252873%2529.gif
Hey, how is your cardamom plant doing?
And how much did it cost?
I am getting one for 125Rs....what do you think? Should i get one?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
er334%2B%252870%2529.gif

er334%2B%252873%2529.gif

I love your gifs, @Rajesh Sethi ! They really are very vivacious and full of fun! Nice to have you here, so cheerful and smart!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hey, how is your cardamom plant doing?
And how much did it cost?
I am getting one for 125Rs....what do you think? Should i get one?

33cardamom33.jpg

Here is a recent picture of green cardamom that I planted in pot, I split the rhizome that I receive into 3 part, its from one of them that you see in the above image.

other two I planted in soil directly to check if they could survive in my garden soil.

125 INR is too high if you are buying from local nursery, its ok from online(shipping charge etc)

I got it from 80, I did not mind, as the poly bag in which it came was small but was filled with rhizome, almost no soil.

Smell the leaves to confirm, you got the right plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Here is an image of ginger that grew of its own near compost pit
gINGER 333.jpg
It has a strong ginger aroma if you smell the leaves, else its hard to tell apart from green cardamom

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My ginger has no leaves, got nibbled by pests..

Ask a Question