I'm so excited!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
My favorite rose nursery of all time is located about two hours from us. Last week my husband suggested that we pay them another visit and "pick up a few roses." YES! I have died and gone to rose heaven!
We'll have a nice drive, wander among a vast number of potted roses, select a few (or more if I lose control), lunch at a good restaurant, and then drive home in a fragrant car. Then the next day I can dig holes and plant my new babies.
If it gets any better than this, I won't be able to stand it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm kinda excited myself.

Saw my first flower coming in on my cucumber plant this morning,and decided to put it in the ground outside. Lowest temp in 14-day forecast is 43 deg F/6 deg C so I'm going for it. I still have more seedlings growing indoors if I need them. I also put seeds in an outdoor planter for sugar snaps. I have had a couple of tomato plants in the ground for almost 2 weeks. Normally, I won't even cut the lawn until April 1, so this is quite the gamble for me. But this is shaping up to be the winter that never came. (I, too, will laugh when we get a blizzard in March.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Granjera, you are one brave person! My tomato plants are still tucked safely inside in the guest bedroom, and I haven't even considered planting cucumbers yet. Our peas (English and sugar snap) are in the gardens, and up and growing.
My husband is eyeing the lawn and saying that "we" need to mow. Oh, joy . . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My husband is eyeing the lawn and saying that "we" need to mow. Oh, joy . . . .

It's kind of hard when you're running around in shorts half the time to not get a little Spring Fever. Or is it Sprinter Fever? But I understand your reluctance about firing up the lawn mower so soon.

Seeds are cheap. I believe in redundancy, so I'm good if the outdoor plants don't survive. But what if I get some cukes coming in in April? (This particular cuke does well with cool nights and sunny days and is the first to start yielding).

For anyone who's disgusted by my warm weather talk, feel smug in knowing that our mosquitoes will probably be as big as birds this year because they never died off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ooh that sounds brilliant! You'll have to let us know how it goes and what you buy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The whole day sounds lovely. A nice trip. An afternoon with your husband, and lunch and rose selection. But more so, he remembered you like roses and that there is a rose nursery 2 hour drive, and he suggested to go . That is grand.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My favorite rose nursery of all time is located about two hours from us. Last week my husband suggested that we pay them another visit and "pick up a few roses." YES! I have died and gone to rose heaven!
We'll have a nice drive, wander among a vast number of potted roses, select a few (or more if I lose control), lunch at a good restaurant, and then drive home in a fragrant car. Then the next day I can dig holes and plant my new babies.
If it gets any better than this, I won't be able to stand it!
Hmmm. Hubbys idea to go rose shopping? I wonder if he has an ulterior motive for all of this largess. Perhaps next he will suggest shopping for a wife sized lawn mower?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck, no ulterior motive, and he has a wife-size lawn mower! We have both been working hard and he thought a day off, a drive through the country, and some rose sniffing would be fun.
Fernsdaddy, the nursery ships at the appropriate time for your area. If you want to see what they offer, www.chambleeroses.com has their on-line catalog, guaranteed to make you drool!
Esther, I am one lucky person, and my husband is such a sweetheart!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds absolutely wonderful and I know exactly how you feel. I'm the happiest when I'm buying new plants:love: Just thinking about it puts me in a good mood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am also excited for you! We have months left before we can see any flowers around here.

Reaction score
It sounds like the perfect day for me :) I'd love to have a lot outings like that, going to the biggest nursery in the Netherlands, pick a few plants and then have lunch at a nice restaurant. How wonderful! You have given me an excellent idea for an outing ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Well, our big outing was today, and we enjoyed it thoroughly. Here is part of the rose nursery we visited:
Chamblee's.jpg

And here are the seven roses we brought home. I was so good and didn't clean them out of roses (but there's always next time!).
Roses at home.jpg

We had a lovely drive and lunch at a Cajun restaurant. Sometimes life is so darned good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That would be paradise for me. :) The few nurseries here don't sell roses, I have to order mine via the internet to be sent from the mainland. :(

What colours did you pick Marlingardener?

Ask a Question