I'm so excited!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I went with a plan in mind--no pink or red roses since we have several of those. First rose we got was a red David Austin (my excuse was that is a different "shade" of red!). We chose a Julia Child which is a soft yellow, and a Nagcodoches, which is a vibrant yellow; two bi-colors, one yellow and cream, the other red and white; an April Moon that is yellow bud becoming cream colored when open; and an orange rose that my husband liked. All of them are own-root roses which do better in our climate than grafted roses.

I was really sorry to hear that Chamblee's (the rose nursery) is discontinuing the David Austin roses. It seems the royalty on the DAs rose four-fold, and Chamblee's can't absorb the rise and customers won't pay the increased amount. The young man who was helping us said to get the Austins now because in the fall they wouldn't have any. Booooo-hoooo:cry:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Chuck, no ulterior motive, and he has a wife-size lawn mower! We have both been working hard and he thought a day off, a drive through the country, and some rose sniffing would be fun.
Fernsdaddy, the nursery ships at the appropriate time for your area. If you want to see what they offer, www.chambleeroses.com has their on-line catalog, guaranteed to make you drool!
Esther, I am one lucky person, and my husband is such a sweetheart!

Looks like I might just order a rose or 3 :D I just ordered a hybrid tea rose called Mint Julep. so what 2 or 3 more roses ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Definitely a yellow and cream theme there Marlingardener. (y) Will you be planting them altogether?

With so many roses available I refuse to pay the extortionate price of David Austin roses. They are no better than roses produced by other breeders/retailers, so I won't pay more because a specific person's name is attached.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We plan to spread the yellow/cream roses around to provide contrast to the red, pink, and almost white roses we have. I also don't like to group roses together because if one develops a disease or pest, they all do.
David Austin's roses from Chamblee's weren't but about a dollar more than the regular roses, but with the increase in royalty, the price is definitely going up. Chamblee's has very moderate prices, especially when you consider the size and variety of roses they offer.
I feel the same way about day lilies, Sheal. I won't pay what I consider an exorbitant amount for a bulb because it's named or from a noted breeder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's probably a wise move for you not to plant in groups. I think we probably have less pests and diseases to worry about here in Britain, having a cooler climate.

I've just been making price comparisons @marlingardener, it would seem roses are a lot cheaper for you than me. For instance.....I picked on one of the more common David Austin roses 'Darcy Bussell'. Your nursery Chamblee's is selling that at $11.95, to buy it from David Austin here it would cost $23.48 and as much as $42.00 in various nurseries. :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm growing a rose :)

DSCI0003.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sheal, holy cow! Yes, we did pay $11.95 for a one gallon David Austin rose, and we have paid a bit more at the Antique Rose Emporium near Houston, but at $23 a rose, I'd be David Austin-less!
When we gave presentations on propagating and caring for roses, I'd always advise spreading the roses out throughout the garden, and putting perennials and small shrubs between the roses. We haven't had pest and disease problems with our roses, but folks who have a "rose garden" with rows of roses fight black spot, thrips, powdery mildew and a host of other difficulties.
I envy you your climate, but I'll do what I can with our heat/humidity/wind and treasure our roses!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, you certainly are growing a rose! What rose is it?
My Maggie has two blooms on it today, and I am going to take cuttings to propagate (it is an old "found" rose without a patent, so propagating is okay). I just hope Maggie does as well as your rose!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Zigs, you certainly are growing a rose! What rose is it?

I bought a single red rose for Valentine's last year, but the young Lady i'd been hoping to give it to said she couldn't leave her world behind for me :(

I still talk to her every day (spent an hour on the phone this week) She lives hundreds of miles away but I will see her again and when I do i'll give her the rose :love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I don't like to purchase roses in bud or bloom (less stress when transplanted if they just have foliage) but the Easy Does It roses were all in bud or bloom, so we got one in bud anyway. It blossomed yesterday:
Easy Does It rose.jpg

I think we are going to like this one, a lot!

wiseowl

\friendly Owl
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
United Kingdom Hardiness Zone 8
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @marlingardener its a lovely Rose:)

Just a little more information for you;)

Firestar(Hybrid tea Harkness
Orange-pink Floribunda.
Registration name:Harpageant
Exhibition name:
Easy Does It ®
Bred by Harkness(United Kingdom, before 2006).
Introduced in United States by Baileys Nurseries in 2010 as 'Easy Does It'.
Introduced in United States by Weeks.in 2010 as 'Easy Does It'.
Floribunda, Hybrid Tea.
Orange-pink. [Apricot - pink.] Flowers mango orange suffusing to pink. Mild, moderate, fruity fragrance. up to 30 petals. Average diameter 4". Large, full (26-40 petals), cluster-flowered, in small clusters, cupped, open, ruffled, scalloped bloom form. Continuous (perpetual) bloom throughout the season, blooms in flushes throughout the season.
Medium, bushy, rounded, upright. Medium, glossy, light green foliage.
Height of 3' to 4' (90 to 120 cm). Width of up to 30" (up to 75 cm).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Wiseowl, thank you! Some information about size, bloom period, and color was included on the back if the tag, but nothing as comprehensive as you provided (y). I was especially happy to learn of the bushy, rounded, upright configuration. I have the perfect spot for it in the front flower bed between white blooming Autumn Sage and a pale yellow batch of cosmos.
Ours is a Weeks rose, since Chamblee's carries Weeks, but I am happy that my rose was bred in the UK, which seems to have a lock on breeding the best roses!

Ask a Question