I Was Told To Use Hydrogen Peroxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told to use Hydrogen Peroxide on Fungus Gnats said that it wouldn't hurt plants.

Then I was told on another Forum that it will kill Microbs. To me that is the same as hurting plants.

Which is it?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Don't ask me I am gonna make fun of you for not googling the answer.. Biological poisons kill microbes.

What did they say to use?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some said Hydrogen Peroxide.

Then some said BTI or Mosquito Bits.

I also the triple General Hydroponics is a no no and I've been using it for years.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've watered with a hydrogen peroxide solution before and still had fungus gnats. Don't think it works on fungus gnats but yes it will kill microbes but it depends on how deeply they are embedded into the organic matter. I've seen fungus bounce right back so no it doesn't necessarily kill all the microbes.

I've straight up watered with 3% hydrogen peroxide before but I think that is about as high as you can go without damage. The problem with it is it can be costly to use.

Fungus gnat eggs are likely already in the potting mix when you start your plants and will hatch. I have taken the damp potting mix before seeding and microwaved it for a minute to boil the soil and no more fungus gnats but that also is killing the microbes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told to just throw a handful of Mosquito Bits on it from the start.

I believe it is hard not to have some.

Son jumped me saying I was over watering but he also couldn't see White Flies.

He said I was looking for Bugs them are so little. Yes Son the little ones will destroy.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like I told my wife I'm going to have to repot everything in my Greenhouse because I was trying Sunshine 4 if I water it stays wet longer and draws Gnats.

On the other hand if I let it dry it makes a hard crust and basically quits working as it should.

Been repotting but running out of soil. Next Spring I will be mixing my soil with Compost and Leaf Mold.

big rockpile

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The best use of hydrogen peroxide I have found in gardening is as an aide to seed germination. Soaking seeds in combination of 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 1 quart of water overnight not only helps with germination but gives the new seedlings a great head start over others. Hydrogen peroxide is present in rainwater and anyone who gardens veggies knows how potent rainwater is to seed germination.

...Been repotting but running out of soil. Next Spring I will be mixing my soil with Compost and Leaf Mold.

big rockpile
I am amazed you have waited this long to "make" your own soil. That is something I advised you to do when you first joined this forum.

I've been doing it successfully for decades. Without doubt, one can create a mix which is far superior to anything commercially available and at far less expense.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Expert gardener I am not by any means, but neem oil is a safe product you may wish to try.

I've had perfect luck with diluted neem oil for gnats and fruit flies flying around & living in the soil of indoor food plants. Outdoors, it works well for larvae, leaf eating insects, fungus and mildew.

Neem oil is from the nuts of the neem tree. The product is a very safe broad spectrum fungicide, mitecide & insecticide. It repels most insects, too. (But bees & butterflies seem attracted to it. After spraying outdoors, they show up out of nowhere & hang around all day.)

Pure neem oil is composed of natural azadirachtin, fatty acids and essential oils; each of which is classified Generally Recognized As Safe by the U.S. FDA. No chemicals are added if you buy the "clean" stuff. (Check the SDS or MSDS for ingredients.) Southern AG Triple Action is an example of one with no chemicals added. Neem oil can be used up to the day of harvest.

I'll mix using the fungicide ratio according to directions for the specific brand. The leaves, top and bottom, get sprayed and the soil surface (damp or dry) gets a light spritz to destroy the eggs & larvae. Any gnats or fruit flies that are actively flying suddenly stay away from the plants. Indoors, one treatment lasts for months, despite watering the soil. I've even lightly sprayed around trays of tomaotes or peppers that are inside ripening. The fruit flies vanish.

Outside when I see any signs of mildew, fungus, eggs or insect holes, the leaves get sprayed. If the problems aren't solved by the next watering, re-spraying is done.

Whether this upsets Mother Nature's microbiome is beyond me, but the plants haven't gone on strike.
Here is a link with a brief fact sheet from the National Pesticide Information Center about neem oil: http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/neemgen.html

I hope this is helpful and please enjoy today!
Paul

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Used Spray with Mosquito Bits. That is all I really have.

Got some Neem but it is too old.

big rockpile
I didn't know neem oil could be too old. Mine's dated 2010 (13 years ago). Perhaps it's time for fresh product.

On the happy side, there's a use for the old. Neem oil makes a great, non toxic, forever lasting wood preservative for tomato stakes and wood edging. (As opposed to using treated lumber than may damage the plants when they draw up the copper.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't know neem oil could be too old. Mine's dated 2010 (13 years ago). Perhaps it's time for fresh product.

On the happy side, there's a use for the old. Neem oil makes a great, non toxic, forever lasting wood preservative for tomato stakes and wood edging. (As opposed to using treated lumber than may damage the plants when they draw up the copper.)
I'm thinking Neem is plant based so it goes bad once open.

All I've read it goes bad after a year even in the refrigerator.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Find a test bug and spray it with the old stuff and see.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't ask me I am gonna make fun of you for not googling the answer.. Biological poisons kill microbes.

What did they say to use?
Google Does Hydrogen Peroxide kill Fungus Gnats? Yes it is very effective on Fungus Gnats and will not hurt your plants.

Google Does Hydrogen Peroxide kill Soil Microbs? Yes.

So it all depends on what you ask.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Google Does Hydrogen Peroxide kill Fungus Gnats? Yes it is very effective on Fungus Gnats and will not hurt your plants.

Google Does Hydrogen Peroxide kill Soil Microbs? Yes.

So it all depends on what you ask.

big rockpile
but your plant is ok by goigle either way right?

Povidone iodine is like that in the garden and comes in a much more fun color.

Ask a Question