My bees have been replaced with wasps/hornets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Last year I had bees everywhere, different kinds and sizes. It was beautiful! This year, I haven’t seen one bee, but I have red wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets everywhere. I know they are still pollinators, but I’ve noticed a significant decrease in pollination of cucumbers and cantaloupe. Is it true that wasps scare away bees? I’ve been placing cans of fruit juice with borax around the house (based on a cool video made by a bee keeper trying to get rid of wasps, link posted below), but I think they like all the flowers more…

For the life of me I cannot find these nest(s). I’m getting to the point where I want to try and wack or spray each one I see. Should I be trying to take more action ya’ll think?

Here’s the link to the bee keeper’s solution:

Reaction score
Country
United States
All bees are pollinators and should never be killed. Insects are living beings for good reason and have jobs they do. Ants leave tunnels with droppings for roots to follow. If you start killing all the bugs you don't like you will will hurt yourself in the long run. Yield to all living creatures in the garden and make peace with them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you want to find the nests you can put out a piece of chicken and they will find it fast, then watch what way they fly when they leave and that will point you towards the direction of the nest. Depending if it's wasp or hornets they could be in the ground, side of a house, high in a tree or in a small shrub, or garage, just about anywhere. But I wouldn't bother them if they are not being a pest like nesting under your patio or in the shed sort of thing. They will get rid of a lot of garden pests for you like grubs and even aphids. And they are not ideal pollinators but better then nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have tons of wasps every year in my yard, because I have tons of plants that are host plants for caterpillars and wasps are great at hunting down these caterpillars. Because I have so many plants, I also have tons of bees, both native and the honeybee. So, no, it's definitely NOT true that wasps scare off bees.

I've never seen any aggression shown between wasps and bees. They are generally not competing for the same food source.

What kind of plants do you have in your yard? Generally speaking, the plants in the squash family are not great attractors of pollinators.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I love wasps of all kinds. They are great caterpillar killers. The only time to kill a wasp nest is when it is in close proximity to where a person will walk. I have never seen wasps and bees compete. When you see a single wasp flying around he will not bother you if you don't bother him. These days living in a city has become hazardous to all kinds of insects and many of them are becoming rather rare. Your best remedy is to have a lot of colorful flowers around to attract them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thank you all, this is greatly reassuring! So this year I have wayyyy more flowers than last year, and I try to keep it at least 70-80% native to my specific county. I can’t tell you how much of a difference it’s made in terms of pest management. I sprayed neem oil one time back in march out of habit and realized I barely see any armyworms. And the ones I do see are usually dying from some sort of beneficial parasite 😆 (last year my entire garden was demolished by armyworms so forgive my bitterness).

So… I don’t know what happened to my bees. I used to have these biiiig bumble bees that loved my Esperanza tree, and they’d make their way to my cantaloupe and cucumbers. I haven’t seen a single one this year, so maybe they’ve just moved on? I hope they didn’t die off 😣

Here’s some pictures of the garden as it was this spring. I’m finding just growing native flowers and other beneficial plants oddly satisfying… just as much as vegetables if not more. So many beautiful colors, and to see all the life that it’s attracted!

IMG_7917.jpeg
IMG_7893.jpeg
IMG_7897.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love the garden @Lmbauer2017 !

If you want bumblebee's it is so easy to make nest boxes for them. This isn't my pic but just to give you an idea how simple it is. Its not like a bee hive where you need a hive stand, hive bottom, brood box with 10 frames, queen excluder, honey supers with 9 frames each, top cover and hive lid etc this is something you can make in 20 minutes.

F4POFTUHSVT6KGE.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I love the garden @Lmbauer2017 !

If you want bumblebee's it is so easy to make nest boxes for them. This isn't my pic but just to give you an idea how simple it is. Its not like a bee hive where you need a hive stand, hive bottom, brood box with 10 frames, queen excluder, honey supers with 9 frames each, top cover and hive lid etc this is something you can make in 20 minutes.

View attachment 98303
What’s the stuff inside? I feel like all the wasps would just make it their mega home 😣. Do you just build it and hope a bee finds it to alert their group?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What’s the stuff inside? I feel like all the wasps would just make it their mega home 😣. Do you just build it and hope a bee finds it to alert their group?

I am not sure what they put in it but looks like pink insolation and wood shavings. It's suppose to only go in the brood chamber, the smaller chamber is for their food and should be empty. Wood shavings, sawdust, dry moss, or cotton is usually used. If you place it low to the ground in shade that's dry like in a hedge a queen will probably find it and start a colony. It's not 100% for sure but up's the chances of having more bumblebees to help with pollination for you.

If you want instant bees you can order a honey bee nuc or better yet a few and start a small apiary. Not sure about where you are but here you would want to start it around may so the hive gets large enough to survive the winter. There is also different types of hives you can build (or buy). Some use frames, some don't like the topbar hive.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There is also different types of honeybees. I always preferred Italian because they winter well here but check to see what kind the local beekeepers in your area have.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Another option and most simple is carpenter bee houses, just stand up some logs and drill different sizes holes in them. I had them but I started to get so many they moved to my patio deck and started destroying it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's possible that the presence of wasps could be intimidating bees, as they can be aggressive towards other pollinators. Placing cans of fruit juice with borax is a creative approach, but as you've noticed, they may still prefer the flowers.

Ask a Question