Bees "si" wasps "no"??

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never had a problem with bees. They would be on my plants when I go to spray with the hose, simply fly off and wait til I was done, and resume doing what they do. Never felt threatened. But this year for some reason, I am seeing a lot of wasps, as if they were looking for a homestead, not just in one particular spot, but all over the back of my house. I know they are beneficial, but I also know they are more aggressive and sting more than once. Can I deter, or discourage wasps, but at the same time not chase away bees? It is in an area where I spend a lot of time. Its like JFK airport. I watched their landings and where they disappeared, but there are no nests being constructed. Something is attracting them. Can I just put something away from that area to distract them to a different location? Any ideas would be much appreciated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a nest somewhere, but both bees and wasps will travel some distance. Try setting up a feeding station a little way off, a saucer of sugar water. Wasps can smell sugar, bees can't, but will take it if they happen to find it. If you can see it is only wasps feeding there you can add a bit of insecticide. I know they are beneficial, but you would be hard put to wipe them out.
If you really don't want to kill them there are smells which will put them off, I have sealed a hole they were persistently trying to use with a silicone that gave off formic acid as it set and they left instantly, I am sure there are others.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I sprayed my house with vinegar hoping to discourage them from establishing a nest but I read where that would deter bees also, which I do not want to do. I know its unwarranted but wasps scare me more than bees and I spend a lot of time in that area, and even an unintentional move may piss them off. I like your idea of sugar water though. Will give it a try, but how far away is reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, not unwarranted. Wasps are much more likely to sting, and their sting is caustic rather than acidic. As a beekeeper I used to get stung a reasonable amount and after a while you stop reacting to the protein element that causes all the swelling and it is fairly mild. Wasp stings hurt like hell and go on doing so for ages. I used to take out wasp nests in populated areas in a bee suit with an aerosol can of knock down killer in each hand. One I sprayed around to keep off the flying ones, the other I used to drill a hole in the nest, those in the nest come and try to repair and defend it and get a good dose of poison.
As you say they do a lot of good, clearing up all sorts of rubbish, I would only take out nests in places like next to a children's playground, or right in the middle of a housing estate.
but how far away is reasonable?
Well, you don't want to attract more near the house, and you don't want to be so far away it is another lot that find it, but wasps will travel 300 yards easily and as much as half a mile for something good. I don't know how big your property is, can you manage 150 feet away?
Honey hunters used to set up a feeding station like that on a high pole with a bit of honey instead of sugar, then lie on the ground under it. Bees make a beeline for home and are clearly visible against the sky, so they knew which direction to go for the nest. I don't know if that would work using sugar for wasps. There are other things that would be attractive to a wasp but not a bee, I have watched a wasp cut a piece out of a fish on a fishmonger's slab and carry it off, and I quite like them when I see them hunting caterpillars among my cabbages. Have you no idea what the wasps are after? It is not always food, they like soft wood to turn into paper for building their nests.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
as if they were looking for a homestead,
No, they have a home nest somewhere. The queens hibernate over winter and then start a nest which all the workers will come from. She will stay in there when she has raised the first few. Unlike honey bees the workers die off over winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
150 feet is or more is not a problem. My property ends at a road and then its nothing but woods and a river. I can put something near the road but I fear the woods are loaded with hives and would just attract more. Now that my spring planting is done and the yard is back in order, I THINK (not a good idea for me) that the flight pattern has lessened to a degree so I may wait and see if there was something I had that attracted them. TYVM for your help. I will let you know how it turns out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been stung more by bees than wasps. I have wasp nests under my carport, but they get very much use to my presence and never react aggressively. My last wasp sting was when I shook up their nest, which was attached to a fig tree - I had no idea it was there and I was rattling the tree as I was weeding around its base. After that I able to walk up to the nest without them stinging me.

I've been stung by all types of bees as I weed areas of my yard, more so than wasps. Wasps are great at keeping down the pests in my yard -- I never use any pesticides.

Ask a Question