I want to borrow your stuff.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good for you. Must spoil these people if they like to take advantage of others. My friend's brother-in-law approached her husband for money to take to Spain for starting up a business. My friend did cleaning all over London and without discussion, the hubby lent £10,000 to her brother-in-law who later died from cancer in Spain. All the money went down the drain. Friend's sister came back and my friend never had one dime back from her. Since friend and her hubby helped me quite a few times when I lived in London. I gave her £100. Later, she phoned me and asked me if I could loan her £500 to which I had to say no. I must say I feel very, very sorry for my friend who has been working in a supermarket and cleaning others' houses. £10,000 for her was blood money. Just tell you, when it comes to material things or money, even being sisters counts for very little.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

With friends like the ones who borrowed the machine DirtMechanic what's your enemies like?:(

Neither lender nor borrower be is a good maxim to live by. I never loan power tools and I'm selective if ever I loan hand tools; even an hammer can be damaged.

Many times I've been taken advantage of because I can "do jobs" and have a well kitted workshop; it's strange though how people regard me and my workshop; as soon as they see the machinery and tools they have jobs for me? About two years ago I dropped on for yet another job this time from our immediate neighbour; this neighbour is a good neighbour and we try to help her because her husband sadly passed away about four years ago when she then moved here.

I was to help her to erect a new garden fence; I suggested the type of fence and she agreed paying for the materials it being her fence. I did the measuring and drew up a materials list for the timber and I also sourced the best deal on chain link. How strange on the day I was to help her she suddenly had a golf tournament lasting the full week it took me on my own to erect the fence; I had to cut back our overgrown laurels and remove the original wire mesh fence which was a terrible job with things growing through it all the time whilst working on the steep slope. I disposed of her old fence.

As soon as the fence was completed the golf stopped? I had spent a terrible week in all weather in an hostile environment whilst she was enjoying herself knocking a little white ball around a field. In fairness when she later visited Paris she kindly brought us a present of a framed Mona Lisa but I learned a lot during that fence job.

This neighbour has tradesmen in as I type installing a lift into her bungalow at £12,000. This lift is from the garage beneath the bungalow up into her bedroom; she can knock a ball around a field but can't walk up her pathway to the door; she has window cleaner; house cleaner; cat sitter when on holiday; gardener (she paid almost £1,000 to have her garden weeded) if a light bulb blows I either end up changing it or she gets an electrician in. She has an only son living not too distant but when he does anything he makes a mess of it and is in a permanent bad mood so he does little for her but she thinks the world of him. This son erected a tiny garden hut and made a lot of noise about doing the job; I gave her creosote; brush and container; she started to creosote this small hut then I ended up running her to a surgery as an emergency as she tripped; from the surgery I then ran her to the pharmacy then back home where I creosoted the hut. It took a long time to catch on what she is up to and she uses people in the nicest possible way.

Yesterday morning I answered the phone and this neighbour very kindly said she had baked four buns for us and would leave them on the wall by the fence for which I thanked her saying how kind she was; her lift men were struggling to remove a section of concrete in her garage and they would have to hire a bigger drill; she said she remembered the problem I had when I had to go through 19" thick concrete to access a broken drain; I presume the lift men hired the drill because I just wished her the best of luck saying yes it was a very hard job?

Previously I've done lots of unpaid work whilst helping out and never wanted any reward but now I feel like I'm being abused so I keep my head down; I might as well sit idle in comfort as graft being taken for a fool? The pictures below show the fence I erected all on my own when in fact I was only supposed to help.I've learned a new two letter word "NO".

Kind regards, Colin.

New fence (1).JPG
New fence (2).JPG
New fence (3).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
she kindly brought us a present of a framed Mona Lisa
@Colin, I believe that every time I get a request to loan anything I will now see the Mona Lisa instead of the person asking. I viewed it in the Louvre once and it is quite small. This will make those people appear to have a tiny head and I am afraid they will mistake my humor as laughing in their face.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin: you should charge her a bit so that she won't take you for granted. I am sure she will have to pay for someone else to do it if you say no. You've already done her a favour. Next time, just name the price. I am sure she at least knows what kind of workmanship she's going to get in the finished product.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks DirtMechanic; Bron also has seen the Mona Lisa when she was an art student before we married; Bron also remarked by how small the painting actually is; quality rather than quantity? :)

Thanks alp for your suggestion and for your kind comment; I'd much rather not do such jobs at all; if I want paying then I'll get a job. Over the last four years I've done lots of jobs for this neighbour from installing a bathroom cabinet; re-polishing a small table top when she accidentally dropped nail varnish remover on it; the fence; demolishing her shed; making special mouldings to match her picture rail and dado; removing her old security box; creosoting her new hut; digging up stumps etc; an whole list of jobs I've carried out; I'm not in any way complaining because I have the option to decline such jobs but both Bron and I like to help and be neighbourly but at times I think I'm looking after two bungalows.

This neighbour recently drove a round journey of about 450 miles to collect an old Singer treadle operated sewing machine she had bought through eBay; of course I was the one to help unload it from her car and when I looked at it I thought if I'm not careful I'll end up with a months work restoring this machine; it's baseboard being plywood was delaminating due to it being stored in damp conditions; some veneer was missing and as she lifted the machine into position it looked very scruffy indeed and unloved; I wheeled it into her bungalow placing it where requested and I've not mentioned it since because to mention it means I'll adopt it. I enjoy veneering and french polishing and I'm highly capable of restoring the mechanics but I don't want to spend weeks on what is a very low value machine in fact many of these sewing machines have been stripped just for their ornate legs; this one is a veneered cabinet. Bron and I own a "Brother" all singing all dancing sewing machine it being electric and this is a fantastic machine giving a wide range of stitch patterns all for around £100. I feel mean by not offering to jump in to do the restoration but one job after another is lined up for me; I've fully restored over 100 vintage radios with wooden cabinets and this neighbour has seen my work so I believe she bought this old sewing machine expecting me to restore it. It's time Bron and I started to enjoy our retirement instead of being dumped upon. I'm getting all hard; bitter and twisted as I grow older. :LOL:

I've posted pictures of work I've carried out before and here are a few more; the cabinet is a 1938 Bush vintage radio; the two chassis are different but show what I do in restoring these; it's just another of my hobbies and I'm good at it because I enjoy it; anyone enjoying doing something will most likely make a good job of it; I've had lots of practice but once I reach this stage of proficiency then I become bored because the challenge is no longer there. I restore such cabinets the old fashioned way using hot hide glue and french polishing.

Kind regards, Colin.

As bought..JPG
Bush vintage radio 1938 (1).JPG
Bush vintage radio 1938 (4).JPG
Chassis restorations (1).JPG
Chassis restorations (2).JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks DirtMechanic. At one point I had over 70 vintage radios in my collection but a while ago I closed my radio shack and sold or gave away most of the collection when I decided I had done enough radio restorations as an hobby and I wanted to get back into metal/woodworking. I like to leave my comfort zone and try different things with lots of new problems to resolve; I'll post a few of the more unusual projects I've completed when I get a bit of spare time; I'm retired so am always short of time. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks DirtMechanic; Bron also has seen the Mona Lisa when she was an art student before we married; Bron also remarked by how small the painting actually is; quality rather than quantity? :)

Thanks alp for your suggestion and for your kind comment; I'd much rather not do such jobs at all; if I want paying then I'll get a job. Over the last four years I've done lots of jobs for this neighbour from installing a bathroom cabinet; re-polishing a small table top when she accidentally dropped nail varnish remover on it; the fence; demolishing her shed; making special mouldings to match her picture rail and dado; removing her old security box; creosoting her new hut; digging up stumps etc; an whole list of jobs I've carried out; I'm not in any way complaining because I have the option to decline such jobs but both Bron and I like to help and be neighbourly but at times I think I'm looking after two bungalows.

This neighbour recently drove a round journey of about 450 miles to collect an old Singer treadle operated sewing machine she had bought through eBay; of course I was the one to help unload it from her car and when I looked at it I thought if I'm not careful I'll end up with a months work restoring this machine; it's baseboard being plywood was delaminating due to it being stored in damp conditions; some veneer was missing and as she lifted the machine into position it looked very scruffy indeed and unloved; I wheeled it into her bungalow placing it where requested and I've not mentioned it since because to mention it means I'll adopt it. I enjoy veneering and french polishing and I'm highly capable of restoring the mechanics but I don't want to spend weeks on what is a very low value machine in fact many of these sewing machines have been stripped just for their ornate legs; this one is a veneered cabinet. Bron and I own a "Brother" all singing all dancing sewing machine it being electric and this is a fantastic machine giving a wide range of stitch patterns all for around £100. I feel mean by not offering to jump in to do the restoration but one job after another is lined up for me; I've fully restored over 100 vintage radios with wooden cabinets and this neighbour has seen my work so I believe she bought this old sewing machine expecting me to restore it. It's time Bron and I started to enjoy our retirement instead of being dumped upon. I'm getting all hard; bitter and twisted as I grow older. :LOL:

I've posted pictures of work I've carried out before and here are a few more; the cabinet is a 1938 Bush vintage radio; the two chassis are different but show what I do in restoring these; it's just another of my hobbies and I'm good at it because I enjoy it; anyone enjoying doing something will most likely make a good job of it; I've had lots of practice but once I reach this stage of proficiency then I become bored because the challenge is no longer there. I restore such cabinets the old fashioned way using hot hide glue and french polishing.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 32226 View attachment 32227 View attachment 32228 View attachment 32229 View attachment 32230

Coor! Blimey! It looks so nice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
was thinking of my recent loan to my mother-in-law, was my pizzelle maker, it worked perfect when I gave it to her. So she gave it back to me couple years ago. Now I don't make them every year. This past Christmas got it out, and there it was broke. can't say anything to the "son" as his mother is an angel . I moved on.

Ask a Question