Radish, lettuce, carrot sprouting (& other fall stuff)

Reaction score

A beautifully shaped Cherry Belle radish was pulled up today. This particular radish was grown in a big pot with a mix of other radish plants. As you can see in the photo below, I am growing a patch of radishes off to the right of the containers.

In the containers I am growing radishes, carrots, endive, lettuce, and arugula. Because it has been cold, I cover the potted plants with the glass panes--which were recycled shelving from an old refrigerator. The temperatures at night have dropped to 40 degrees; and the days have been in the 50s because it hasn't been sunny and it has been rainy because of Hurricane Joaquin.

radish, carrot, and lettuce sprouting

arugula, endive, and lettuce

In a previous post I mentioned that animals are eating the seeds and digging holes in the other garden. I planted vegetables seeds a month ago in the hugelkultur garden. Of course hugelkultur mounds are perfect for the squirrels to store their nuts, and the mounds are the perfect habitat for rabbits and moles to live. So we are struggling to grow anything in ALL four hugelkultur mounds-- after planting thousands of carrot, lettuce, endive, spinach, radish seeds, and peas.
The picture below shows you the only lettuce plant that has survived. Well I think there may be a couple carrot and lettuce plants but this lettuce plant is the only mature plant.

mushrooms in the hugelkultur mounds

Mushrooms remind me of fall too. They grow when it's cool and damp. And different types of mushrooms have taken over the hugelkultur mounds.
But the other "fall stuff" I wanted to show you were the additions to my fall setting. James laughs at me for being so proud of the scarecrow I made and the squash arrangement. Soon I'm going to carve on some of those pumpkins. I'm really not into celebrating anything (i.e. corporate holidays)--however, this time of year takes me back to childhood because of Halloween, I am reminded of enchantment, witches, wizards, and Harry Potter--which is why I made a sign attached to the pole of the porch "9 3/4".

pumpkin, butternut squash, yellow squash, cushaw, mums & aster plants

In the next couple of days I will harvesting additional radishes, and some small amounts of arugula and other greens. The lettuce and endive are sprouting in the small garden, and I assume they will be ready to begin harvesting in the next three weeks. I'm not sure the carrots will mature before the fall frost, but if they continue to grow--they will be ready to harvest in the next couple of months.

Original post @ Radish, lettuce, carrot sprouting (& other fall stuff)

-Cassie K, veganslivingofftheland.blogspot.com

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Gee, it's so nice to look at the pictures in this thread. I remember the vegetable dish that my mother used to cook using that kind of lettuce. With the red radish, we do not have that here or maybe it is beet? And you have great pumpkins and gourds there. What are you going to do, sell them or cook them all? When we get a good harvest in our backyard farm, we give away to neighbors and relatives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The radish in the first picture looks delicious! It's perfect:) I think I'll try to grow radishes in a pot too. Do you think I can do it indoors?

Reaction score
That's a really beautiful radish you got there, I'd love to grow my own organic radishes as well =D I had no idea what a radish patch looked like before this, how are you supposed to know when the radishes are ready to be pulled out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a fantastic you have there, and radish looks so good! I like your fall deco. It is festive and perfect for this time now.

Reaction score
The radish in the first picture looks delicious! It's perfect:) I think I'll try to grow radishes in a pot too. Do you think I can do it indoors?
Yeah I think they'll grow indoors. Set them outside during the day in sunlight.

Reaction score
That's a really beautiful radish you got there, I'd love to grow my own organic radishes as well =D I had no idea what a radish patch looked like before this, how are you supposed to know when the radishes are ready to be pulled out?
You can tell when the radish begins to bulb and sticks out from above ground.

Reaction score
Gee, it's so nice to look at the pictures in this thread. I remember the vegetable dish that my mother used to cook using that kind of lettuce. With the red radish, we do not have that here or maybe it is beet? And you have great pumpkins and gourds there. What are you going to do, sell them or cook them all? When we get a good harvest in our backyard farm, we give away to neighbors and relatives.
It is a radish, and I eat it raw like I would a carrot ;)
The gourds and everything are for the Fall scene, and I will carve the pumpkins. I intended to eat all of those cushaws (the white and green striped gourds) but I never got around to it. I will be saving seeds from all of those though to grow them next year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have a good recipe for pickles? I end up having so many cucumbers at the end of the summer and I hate for them to go to waste. I have no problem pureeing my tomatoes and freezing them but I need ideas for keeping my cucumbers through the fall and winter.

My friend recommended making pickles with them, this way I can enjoy them throughout the fall. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Reaction score
I really love your 9 3/4 sign! I am such a huge fan of Harry Potter. I am a book worm along with a gardener. I think your garden's goodies definitely fit the Potter theme as well! :D

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good recipe for pickles? I end up having so many cucumbers at the end of the summer and I hate for them to go to waste. I have no problem pureeing my tomatoes and freezing them but I need ideas for keeping my cucumbers through the fall and winter.

My friend recommended making pickles with them, this way I can enjoy them throughout the fall. Does anyone have any other ideas?

In a large pot, bring water and ACV vinegar (half and half) to a boil along with dill, pickling salt, sugar ( a little extra sugar helps), mustard seed, black pepper and any other herbs and spices. Remove from burner after the mixture comes to a boil. Then transfer mix to each jar of pickles, and process with sterilized lids/jars for 10-15 minutes. 3 cups of water and 3 cups of ACV vinegar will cover iver 5 pint jars of sliced cucumbers, which may equate to 1 pickle per jar. I don't know because I'm not an expert, but I did make awesome pickles for the first time this year.

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recipes for butter nut squash? I am tired of making soup from it :(
Fry the butternut squash with carrots and onion with a little sugar, and serve over rice. Another thing I do with the butternut squash we grow, is shred them or julienne and mix with a little bit of flour, sugar, salt, and water to make a batter, then fry with a little olive oil.

Ask a Question