What is this white stuff?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We started our to tomatoe, peppers and onion seeds indoors for this upcoming season. We've been watering them every three or so days or once we see the soil is dry on top. We've been bottom watering and that's seems to work well.

I've noticed this white "stuff" on the soil and wasn't sure if this is a fungus or something else.

Is it something I should be concerned with? If so, what can I do to fix it.

Thanks,

Chris

IMG_0553.JPG IMG_0552.JPG

Reaction score
Not a disease or fungus, looks like a calcium deposit from the water.

Ease back on the watering, if the tray feels light then water,think you may be overdoing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I learned the dangers of over watering last year so now I wait until the soil is dry. I think our water is hard here so maybe that's the reason.

Thanks for the information.

Chris

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I learned the dangers of over watering last year so now I wait until the soil is dry. I think our water is hard here so maybe that's the reason.

Thanks for the information.

Chris
If your water is hard that is the reason. However, if you use a product like Miracle Gro Potting Soil or anything that is not organic you will see the same thing. They put synthetic fertilizers into their products and the salts always show themselves.

Ask a Question