I only grow plants for looks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Not counting tomatoes & Pecans
I just plant stuff i want to look at whether its tree shrubs or flowers , grasses
my wife can buy food at the store

Reaction score
Whatever I'm growing, I want to like the look of it! I have different tastes from a lot of people, its true, as well as still liking some plants that nearly everyone likes. I like roses, scabious, forget me not, love in a mist, tulips, cyclamen, grape hyacinths, all sorts of things, those are just the ones that occur to me now. But I want to grow crops as well, and I want to like the *look* of the things I eat. Maybe I'm just so proud of finally managing to grow anything thats edible, I'd love the look of it no matter what :p

I have pecan tree envy, though, as you actually have a pecan tree :p

Reaction score
I grow plants mainly for their looks .. but I also have some herbs and veggies that I can eat. Since most of my plants are indoor plants they are mainly showy specimens. I would however like to have more space for a kitchen garden. I would like to have carrots,beets, beans and pumpkins growing there.. :)

Reaction score
Not counting tomatoes & Pecans
I just plant stuff i want to look at whether its tree shrubs or flowers , grasses
my wife can buy food at the store

That's cool. Not everyone gardens for the same reasons. It's fine if you just want ornamental plants. I have mostly ornamental plants too, with a few herbs and a couple of onions. I don't have enough room to plant enough edible plants to make it worth it. I'm happy just to save a couple of bucks on fresh herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Indoors, I grow plants that I find beautiful - which means miniature roses:D . But in my garden I grow some vegetables and I do this not because of their looks, but because they're so delicious. I like to know that I eat something really healthy, without any chemicals. Also, being able to grow my own vegetables makes me feel really proud:D

Reaction score
I love that feeling of being proud of what you've grown! I was thinking about this thread the other day, and thinking about those ornamental cabbages, of all things - they're very beautiful. Chard is beautiful too! I wonder what other edible plants we could describe as beautiful? Tree blossom in spring, say, from a cherry tree, is out of this world, for instance. And there's lots of flowers that are edible. Though one of my very favourite flowers is scabious - and I grow them for the bees, who love them!

Reaction score
I've never been big on veggie gardening, I too like plants and flowers for their beauty. I suppose if I lived on a farm, or had lots of acres, I'd consider a vegetable garden. But knowing me as I do, and how much I love the beauty and serenity that plants and flowers provide, I'd probably have about 80% plants and flowers and 20% vegetables. You never know though, because if times got hard, I would definitely start growing vegetables. I have a vegetarian in my family so I'm sure she would not mind having a vegetable garden or two.

Reaction score
Oh how shallow :eek:, I am kidding. Most people do grow for the looks of it. But, you are missing out if you don't taste veggies fresh at the vine, it's is even better than the farmers market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
As a bonsai grower my focus is definitely on looks. However trees that produce fruit would be a big bonus. The only bonsai I have at the moment that actually produces fruit is a mulberry tree but I'm hoping that some of my other trees will produce fruit as they mature.

We have a few fruit trees in our garden but get very little fruit from them. The only veggies we ever bother about are cherry tomatoes.

Reaction score
I think we all do that :) I felt so attracted to kalanchoes because of the colour of their flowers; there are so many color varieties out there! To be honest, I don't think I'd have liked that plant very much if it wasn't for its bright colored flowers. The plant would look like a very ordinary plant, and I'm sure people wouldn't even pay attention to it. I also grow miniature for the same reason: beautiful tiny flowers!

I know, I know! I'm a very superficial person! I just can't help to feel attracted to beautiful things ;) The only things I don't grow for the looks are my tomatoes and cucumbers.

Reaction score
The main reason why I'm into gardening is because I want to make my place beautiful. I selected certain plants for beautification purposes. Most plants I have is because of their flowers. I have roses and orchids. I also have few vegetables in the backyard. but I'm not really into it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to eat the fresh veggies so I grow mostly tomatoes and beans. I have plants indoors that I like to look at but I also like the flowers outside so I grow what I want to look at.

Over the years my outdoor gardening has taken a back seat to other activities but I keep up with my house plants and hope to have a greenhouse soon to increase the number of plants I now have.

Reaction score
I love to plant really unique things. I do try to get fruit baring plants for the most part though because that is the main reason I like to garden it to see the great stuff that the plants produce. I love looking through the gardening magazines and picking out something new each season to plant that I have never tried before.

Ask a Question