I need advise on how to overwinter rosemary plants in a cold climate

Reaction score
I am located in central Illinois and have attempted to overwinter several rosemary plants by bringing them indoors. I have been unsuccessful for the past two years and would appreciate any tips from those who have successfully kept rosemary alive throughout the freezing months. I suspect that a lack of humidity due to furnace heat was the greatest problem. Thank you for any help you have to offer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am located in central Illinois and have attempted to overwinter several rosemary plants by bringing them indoors. I have been unsuccessful for the past two years and would appreciate any tips from those who have successfully kept rosemary alive throughout the freezing months. I suspect that a lack of humidity due to furnace heat was the greatest problem. Thank you for any help you have to offer.
I don't know how big your container is but if you get a container about twice as big, put mulch in the bottom 3-6 inches deep, put your rosemary container inside of it and stuff newspapers tightly all around it will act as great insulation if you can keep the paper dry. Maybe put it on the porch or in the garage?

Reaction score
Thank you. I have a porch which might work. I have six plants and I think I might try a separate approach with each one this year. This suggestion sounds promising. Thanks again!

Reaction score

Rosemary plants do best when grown outside as they don't normally do very well when grown indoors - due to lack of sunlight and the temperature being too warm - as its not really the heat that is crucial to their survival indoors but sunlight - as they still require at least 6 - 8 hours of sunlight or very bright light during the winter months.

I too would agree with what Chuck has already said and keep your plants outside over the winter in their natural environment - by keeping them in a sheltered area and using some insulation around the pots to protect the roots - as should your temperature drop below 20 F - you could always protect the rest of the plant by putting some horticultural fleece over the top :)

Reaction score
The winters here can be cruel to plants, with temperatures falling far below 20 degrees, and often below zero. This is the added challenge for my overwintering attempts. I plant the rosemary in the ground and dig them up, put them in pots and bring them indoors to watch them die each year. The plants aren't terribly expensive to purchase again in the spring, but it is a goal of mine to keep it alive until next spring. I have even purchased the beautiful rosemary plants sold during the Christmas season, groomed into the shape of a Christmas tree. Sadly, I've managed to kill these also. I need all the advise I can get!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The winters here can be cruel to plants, with temperatures falling far below 20 degrees, and often below zero. This is the added challenge for my overwintering attempts. I plant the rosemary in the ground and dig them up, put them in pots and bring them indoors to watch them die each year. The plants aren't terribly expensive to purchase again in the spring, but it is a goal of mine to keep it alive until next spring. I have even purchased the beautiful rosemary plants sold during the Christmas season, groomed into the shape of a Christmas tree. Sadly, I've managed to kill these also. I need all the advise I can get!
There is a product you can find at any good nursery called N-sulate. Wrap your plant in layers with this and put a small (15 watt) lightbulb inside for heat on the coldest days. That and the insulated container should protect your plant to well below 0. It is thin enough to let in sunlight and it is made of some kind of polymer fabric

Reaction score

As Ive already mentioned rosemary plants rarely do well when grown indoors and to be honest I haven't come across anyone who has managed to do so successfully - as what ever you do - even when kept on the dry side and placed on a sunny south facing windowsill they seem to meet an untimely demise when grown inside - which is why I suggested keeping yours outside - especially as I have found it to be a very successful way of overwintering them and in fact always keep mine outside in a sheltered spot and cover them with horticultural fleece when necessary - as even though we often experience long periods where temperatures range from between -6 to -12 centigrade ( 21 -10 F) - I haven't lost any yet.

Reaction score
this is something that I hasve to think about as well as we get some reaaaally nasty winters here too being in NY and near several dozens of lakes including the great lakes uuuugh. What sucks is I live on the north facing side of my apartment building and not even the top floor so i MIGHT get 1 hour of sunlight in the evening... but not in the winter. :( I might ask to move to the osuth facing if I can O.O this is going to be a very worrysome winter indeed :(

Ask a Question