I may need to till my no-till garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Phew… just a quick update if anyone would like to know. I’ve done three rounds of layering a couple inches of compost (sometimes a bag of raised garden bed mix) and turn turn turned… The clumps are honestly as good as it’s gonna get for now. But I did half the work last week, and this week there’s already a monumental difference in soil structure.

I’m going to begin the molasses treatment now. @Chuck I’m assuming I should probably throw down some hardwood mulch or something while this sits in the July/august heat? Texas Native makes a really good partially broken down organic hardwood mulch.

And of course what’s a post without pics!
View attachment 91275
View attachment 91276
A couple of inches of mulch on top would be great. Remember the 30%. Molasses will speed up the breaking down of the compost. Just keep it moist. Between now and the 15th would be a good time to start your tomato's for a fall garden. Set them out about Sept 1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A couple of inches of mulch on top would be great. Remember the 30%. Molasses will speed up the breaking down of the compost. Just keep it moist. Between now and the 15th would be a good time to start your tomato's for a fall garden. Set them out about Sept 1
Awesome sounds good! Thanks again for the help. I’ll get the tomatoes going in a week or so. PS we’ve been having some rain which has been cooling things off a bit, and it’s enough that a couple tomato flowers that actually set fruit! :ROFLMAO: We’ll see if they survive the heat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Phew… just a quick update if anyone would like to know. I’ve done three rounds of layering a couple inches of compost (sometimes a bag of raised garden bed mix) and turn turn turned… The clumps are honestly as good as it’s gonna get for now. But I did half the work last week, and this week there’s already a monumental difference in soil structure.

I’m going to begin the molasses treatment now. @Chuck I’m assuming I should probably throw down some hardwood mulch or something while this sits in the July/august heat? Texas Native makes a really good partially broken down organic hardwood mulch.

And of course what’s a post without pics!
View attachment 91275
View attachment 91276
Awesome, love to see up dates on products. Been working over my garden as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Alrighty here’s my final update for now. Dropped about 2-3 inches of partially broken down shredded hardwood mulch, dumped some molasses and letting it settle. I’m not sure if my HOA is going to gain any authority soon so I spruced it up with some garden stones and trimmed all the dead hedges (they froze last year and I’ve been ignoring them because I hate them). The path down the middle is so I can reach both sides without stepping on the soil and compacting it any more (I’m very paranoid about pressing this stuff down now after what i did to my backyard “no-dig” garden).

Got my tomato seedlings started and have some couple week old pepper seedlings that I may drop in in a month or so. I lost power and internet for a day and completely forgot my timer is a WiFi switch…. So they’re a bit yellow. But they’ll perk up in a day or two hopefully :rolleyes:

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

I forgot the light wouldn't turn on if I lost internet for a day... oops... I turned the light on about 2 hours before taking this picture.
image0.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
More updates!

It's been a month since I amended this front yard. I've added 2 treatments of molasses and broadforked the whole thing (using a pitchfork) to try and bring some air into it. I began planting my first flowers to test the waters a bit. Digging up the soil I could tell a phenomenal difference in the workability of it! It still has a long ways to go, but I think plants just may survive in it. We'll see how well these wildflowers do. I have a purple coneflower in the back, then 2 yarrows (have been sitting in a pot that constantly dries out and gets no sun) and dead front center is a coreopsis called "Nana" which is my favorite (was also sitting in a poorly treated pot behind the house).

At the front of the sidewalk entrance is a Mexican Heather (wonderful pollinator and seemingly impossible to kill) on the left and a BEAUTIFUL gaillardia (blanket flower) on the right... well when it's fresh blooming it's beautiful lol. The two clones behind them on either side are from a large esparanza tree that I stuck in a pot a few months back. I was surprised they took root so easily! They were poorly rootbound and solely surviving on my periodic water soluble feedings so forgive the yellowed leaves. But these babies will produce tons of bright yellow trumpet flowers once they grow a bit. The two shrubs behind the esparanzas in blue pots are blueberries. They've been getting a pretty gnarly fungus on them that I'm not exactly sure what to do with at this point... (I'll also probably plant these into the ground. I was hesitant because I wanted to take them with me if we moved :ROFLMAO: )

Still counting down the days to cooler weather and planting some tomatoes/peppers/herbs in this thing. My seedlings are getting big quicker than I thought so I'm a bit nervous I started them too soon. But time will tell...

Sorry for the ramble, it's just nice to see some slight semblance of my plan unfolding finally! Thanks to everyone for all the input and helping me make this happen :)

IMG_7087.jpg

IMG_7085.jpg

IMG_7086.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lookin good. I seriously doubt if you will be successful with blueberries though. The soil in Houston just isn't the correct Ph, it's too high. Keep on with the molasses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Lookin good. I seriously doubt if you will be successful with blueberries though. The soil in Houston just isn't the correct Ph, it's too high. Keep on with the molasses.
I was wondering about that myself. I may just put them in much larger pots if that's the case. We bought them from Buchannan's Native Plants in the Heights and they had a lot of blueberries on them already, but then I brought them home and they all got eaten by stinkbug nymphs! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I was wondering about that myself. I may just put them in much larger pots if that's the case. We bought them from Buchannan's Native Plants in the Heights and they had a lot of blueberries on them already, but then I brought them home and they all got eaten by stinkbug nymphs! :LOL:
I have seen semi-successful blueberries grown in East Texas but the soil Ph was around 5 - 5.5. I guess you could grow them in large pots in mostly peat but not in the ground.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've had some success with blueberries in ph of 5.9 north of Livingston...but it also takes a lot of water especially in July and August.
Still counting down the days to cooler weather and planting some tomatoes/peppers/herbs in this thing. My seedlings are getting big quicker than I thought so I'm a bit nervous I started them too soon. But time will tell...

Your space is looking very good, and I think you will definitely like the results from the "pitch fork" exercise.

I'm counting the days also for weather change and anxious to get my fall crops going. Unfortunately, its going to be several before that happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've had some success with blueberries in ph of 5.9 north of Livingston...but it also takes a lot of water especially in July and August.

Your space is looking very good, and I think you will definitely like the results from the "pitch fork" exercise.

I'm counting the days also for weather change and anxious to get my fall crops going. Unfortunately, its going to be several before that happens.
Do you have any experience with broadforking? I’m wondering if I should do it one more time in a couple weeks or if it’s not supposed to be done that often. Not a lot of info on the internet of how OFTEN to do it… just on HOW to do it lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You probably don't have to do it again this year. You might turn over a spot or two and see if there are many big clods. Even if you do find big clods it doesn't mean that you should turn it over again because using molasses on a regular basis will get rid of clods. On my big garden a garden spade a shovel and a rake was all I had. I just turned it over once but I used molasses a lot and after a couple of years there were no more clods. And another reason I didn't turn it over was it was 1/4 acre and a ton of manual work. This garden was made into raised beds instead of rows and during planting row crops each raised bed was turned over completely. On the beds where I had transplants it was turned over totally about every three years as I didn't put a plant in the same spot more than one year. Having said this, there is nothing wrong with turning it over again and if you do it would be a great time to incorporate more well composted compost. Attached is a picture early in the season and just before planting of most of my big garden.

Attachments

• IMG_0012 (7).JPG
    IMG_0012 (7).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0020 (30).JPG
    IMG_0020 (30).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 9

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Soils need oxygenation. Weeds should be controlled. Cover crops should be incorporated into the soil. How you choose to do it is dealers' choice as far as I'm concerned...but do it when needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Soils need oxygenation. Weeds should be controlled. Cover crops should be incorporated into the soil. How you choose to do it is dealers' choice as far as I'm concerned...but do it when needed.
My exact thoughts/concerns. I’d test the soil with a moisture meter and it’d be soaked even after not watering for a week in 100+ weather. I hoped creating some cracks/airing it out would help the water evaporate or anything. Trying to avoid stepping anywhere on it at all cost as it’s so fluffy now which has been unheard of on this property lol.

You probably don't have to do it again this year. You might turn over a spot or two and see if there are many big clods. Even if you do find big clods it doesn't mean that you should turn it over again because using molasses on a regular basis will get rid of clods. On my big garden a garden spade a shovel and a rake was all I had. I just turned it over once but I used molasses a lot and after a couple of years there were no more clods. And another reason I didn't turn it over was it was 1/4 acre and a ton of manual work. This garden was made into raised beds instead of rows and during planting row crops each raised bed was turned over completely. On the beds where I had transplants it was turned over totally about every three years as I didn't put a plant in the same spot more than one year. Having said this, there is nothing wrong with turning it over again and if you do it would be a great time to incorporate more well composted compost. Attached is a picture early in the season and just before planting of most of my big garden.
Nice! Man you can really see the color change in the soil too… I really appreciate the practicality of not sweating over the soil so much and just planting. The other day I dug into the front yard with my hand and was SHOCKED at how easy it was to dig down after the sun should’ve baked this into a solid slab… there are plenty of small mud chunks still, but the difference between now and a month ago is unreal…

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My exact thoughts/concerns. I’d test the soil with a moisture meter and it’d be soaked even after not watering for a week in 100+ weather. I hoped creating some cracks/airing it out would help the water evaporate or anything. Trying to avoid stepping anywhere on it at all cost as it’s so fluffy now which has been unheard of on this property lol.

Nice! Man you can really see the color change in the soil too… I really appreciate the practicality of not sweating over the soil so much and just planting. The other day I dug into the front yard with my hand and was SHOCKED at how easy it was to dig down after the sun should’ve baked this into a solid slab… there are plenty of small mud chunks still, but the difference between now and a month ago is unreal…
About a month before you plant your transplants cover the entire bed about 1-2 inches deep with compost and soak it with molasses @ 2 oz per gallon of water. There won't be any lumps. Then when you transplant add granular fertilizer to the soil you took out of the transplant hole. Plant your plant and then jump backwards as the growth will astound you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plant your plant and then jump backwards
That brought back a memory. I had been reading a book on propagating and mentioned most cuttings were about nine inches and pencil thickness, until I came to willow, "Take a piece about six feet long and an inch to an inch and a half thick, make a good deep hole with a crowbar and put it in." it read. "And stand back quickly" said Dad.

Ask a Question