I have some concerns about my Aloe plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I sorted out the sunburn issue, I would up removing the damaged portion of the leaf. In your case, if it went straight to brown I dont think too much sun did it. From what I read, they take on a reddish-purple tinge before going brown.

Im not overly sure about growth, afaik aloe vera dont often grow entirely new leaves, the old ones get bigger, and I havent been measuring mine. It may be the soil is too compacted, I havent gotten a chance to put them into a cactus mix, yet. I was waiting on the weather to get nicer.
As for my case, I have a few issues/factors with the browning, one is cold weather, we just came out of winter and I'm sure that at least factored in and then we have had a few hard rains, despite being in a drought the rains were probably enough to over water the plants. And finally I got the sun issue, which is something I'm working on by growing some plants near it.

As for new leaves, they come out of the center of the plant and I do have them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@Belmont I've merged the new topic with the original topic for ease and clarity - hope that's ok!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
As for my case, I have a few issues/factors with the browning, one is cold weather, we just came out of winter and I'm sure that at least factored in and then we have had a few hard rains, despite being in a drought the rains were probably enough to over water the plants. And finally I got the sun issue, which is something I'm working on by growing some plants near it.

As for new leaves, they come out of the center of the plant and I do have them.

I dont think Ive had mine long enough to grow new leaves although I will check.

@Belmont I've merged the new topic with the original topic for ease and clarity - hope that's ok!
Thats fine, thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Looking at them, I believe the larger of the 2 has begun growing a new leaf, but the smaller one has not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Update for anyone who wants it: I think the big one is a goner. I accidentally buried one of the leaves slightly and it began to rot, I removed it from the stem, there was no rot on the stem. The big issue, is it isnt absorbing water. The leaves have become soft, and are visibly smaller than when it was taking in water. I dont know what I can do but leave it alone and hope for the best

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes. Ive passed it on to my mother to see if she can do anything for it, but I am not optimistic. I think either I cooked the root system (Dark pot in direct sunlight), or its the shock of repotting it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Update for anyone who wants it: I think the big one is a goner. I accidentally buried one of the leaves slightly and it began to rot, I removed it from the stem, there was no rot on the stem. The big issue, is it isnt absorbing water. The leaves have become soft, and are visibly smaller than when it was taking in water. I dont know what I can do but leave it alone and hope for the best

Too. Much. Water.

Aloe is a desert plant. It can go months without water. Literally, months. A year even, probably. You've killed it by drowning it. What about this do you not understand?

I swear, over half the "my plant isn't doing well" questions can be answered without even reading. The answer is usually "too much water." It's annoying. I think I'm just going to copy and paste "too much water" to save time. o_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I dont think its over watering. I watered them real lightly once since making this post, when I noticed the one looking off. Since then, not a drop.

Ask a Question