I dug up 10 lbs of Potatoes before it snows.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted Kennebec potatoes Sept 15. I planted about 1 lb of tiny potatoes 40 tiny 1" diameter new potatoes that were dug up in July. Keep new potatoes in the refrigerator 1 or 2 weeks then remove them from refrigerator potatoes think winter is over so eyes grow sprouts. Turn refrigerator thermostat down low about 35°F. Frost & 15° killed the plants a few weeks ago. Then we had a week of rain and a week of warmer weather dead potato plants are growing new leaves. We have 6°F and snow in the forecast so I dug potatoes up yesterday, 2 weeks early. We won't need to buy grocery store potatoes for 2 more months. Our location is Murfreesboro TN 30 miles south of Nashville TN. I will plant potatoes again May 1st after soil warms up to 65°. Next planting will be, Kennebec, Red Pontiac, Yukon Gold, 3 rows 25 ft long, 1 eye cuttings, spacing 6"apart, 3 rows side by side, 6" between rows, 150 plants, a soaker hose in the center row, water every 3 days, 5-20-20 fertilizer once a week, we hope to harvest 300 lbs of potatoes but wait and see we have 100° weathers and garden is desert for 4 months June to Sept.
100_6587.JPG
100_6586.JPG
100_6585.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very good then. I was going to try out fall potatoes but didn't get to it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the smartest thing to do would be, plant about 10 seed potatoes every 15 days May to Sept, then harvest from Aug to Dec.

Ask a Question