Cat dug up the seedlings....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Usually, the resident cat is fine. Sure, she has an attitude problem, but is generally complacent and apathetic to everyone's existence. But there are times, when for no apparent reason, she just decides to destroy parts of the garden. This time, our squash, tomato, and herb seedlings felt the brunt of her senior moment. And those, were the last of our surviving seedlings from our recent damping out blight that killed most of our young crop. Darn, better luck next year. The sun is already so short I doubt if I planted more they would have a good chance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Usually, the resident cat is fine. Sure, she has an attitude problem, but is generally complacent and apathetic to everyone's existence. But there are times, when for no apparent reason, she just decides to destroy parts of the garden. This time, our squash, tomato, and herb seedlings felt the brunt of her senior moment. And those, were the last of our surviving seedlings from our recent damping out blight that killed most of our young crop. Darn, better luck next year. The sun is already so short I doubt if I planted more they would have a good chance.
Damping off disease is easily prevented by using horticultural cornmeal. All you do is mix about 15% per volume into your seed starting medium and then when you sow the seeds cover the top of the soil with a thin layer. Can't say too much about the cat though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Damping off disease is easily prevented by using horticultural cornmeal. All you do is mix about 15% per volume into your seed starting medium and then when you sow the seeds cover the top of the soil with a thin layer. Can't say too much about the cat though.

I remember you telling me. We have not had a problem since with your suggestions. Unfortunately the cat decided to finish off the rest of the seedlings....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Take away her trowel :D

On a more serious note, sorry to hear about your seedlings :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have 4 cats, who are outside often. When I planted seeds in the spring I always get /have on hand/ a screen with about 1/4 inch holes in it. That screen is then elevated and weighted down /tied above the soil flats, This is not only due to possibly of cats doing something, but squirrels, or other nightly roaming creatures. Even when I planted my huge flower pots with seeds I use the open plastic flats, upside down, tied to the pot. When the plants are high enough then all is removed. Yes, I start my seeds outside. In general with having any animal around, I am proactive as far as placing things in certain places etc. so no "natural" harm is done. Animals are animals, they do whatever naturally. Example, when we had our huge GSDs, my couch was never in front of the window, all dogs look out of the window, and I do not want my couch jumped on for that.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius, I do much the same! (y) I had the opportunity to get a cover from a very large fan. Like this one, but with fewer spokes. (Do I want "spokes" ? Spokes are the part that connect inside to outside. So I don't think I mean "spokes." :confused: Maybe they are "rungs" ? Mine has fewer wires in the middle.)

th

I use it, and I plant from seed, too. I weight it with a rock, but more for wind protection than anything else. The one I have is about 4-5" high, so I normally don't elevate it. Now I have two of them! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Speaking of thinking outside the square, i had an old, slightly broken black metal wine rack which I thought I'd use as a prop in the garden. It toppled over a few times so I put it out in our local hard rubbish collection. some one grabbed it which is great. But now i have another idea;), a bit too late but it may have worked if i placed it over flowers which grow a bit taller and tend to fall over. The rack would have been obscured a bit by the undergrowth. I may try it if the other wine rack breaks:confused:.
I do love to utilise what i have., some practical and some sentimental motivations. i have shown my mums old push mower, not in working order, which I painted with a "rust effects" paint and have in my woodlands garden. i have now added mums old trestle ladder and have given it the same treatment. It is tall and works well with a climber in it. i must admit this was my sons idea. As he pointed out, one on it's own wasn't much use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20161121_012305.jpg
Here it is, the little mower on the rights is gradually being covered but I do just want it as a prop.

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But there are times, when for no apparent reason, she just decides to destroy parts of the garden.
Does she attack plants? :confused: Or is she mainly going for the places with freshly dug dirt?

My cats would dig up seedlings too, if I didn't take steps. They're not being malicious, it's the dirt. (It's the dirt! :coffee: The diiiirrt!!) Once plants are about 4-5" high, they'll leave the dirt alone.

:eek: I wouldn't know what to do with a plant attacking cat!

This is what I've learned from having too many cats. :rolleyes:

If you want to grow outside from seed or transplanted seedlings, you have to .cover them or build a barrier. You could use a milk crate or an upside-down old laundry basket. (You might want to cut holes in it to let in more light.) I usually try to find things I can recycle. (y)

For the veg garden, I have two old tomato cages that I cut in half, and use the four pieces to make little surrounds for protecting seedlings and new transplants. If the cat were really determined, I'd try to block entry with little sticks, or bamboo skewers, or garden stakes.

I originally tried to use cheap plastic fencing for edging my flower bed. :oops: It does not stand up well to the weed whacker. :( :ROFLMAO: So now, I am using rocks along the flower bed, and I have incorporated the fencing to protect my plants.

1120161357.jpg

:) Next year, there will be a nice little clump of Butterfly weed between the flamingos.

I have never found a smell that repulses my cats. I've had them smell peppermint oil and orange peel. They don't care. I've heard about using hot pepper spices, but if that bothered them, then why did one jump on the stove and steal a Buffalo chicken sandwich? :eek: I won't try mothballs, because they'll repulse me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@MaryMary it's the dirt. She does not care about the plants. In fact, we planted her large 3 cat-grass offerings to appease her veggie cravings, which she uses infrequently. We neglected to put coverings on our winter crop, so honestly it is our fault. Can't teach an old cat new tricks, we thought she would know by now our garden is off limits :whistle:

Thank you all for your suggestions. We know better, we just had forgotten the obvious. We still love her :ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question