I Don't Think This Will Work

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was putting Wood Chips around some Trees and started Mushrooms.

I was going to put Flower Seed along the road.

My wife and Son put 3 Truck Loads of Wood Chips along the road.

They both said plant over the Chips. Even though the Chips are couple years old I'm thinking they took all the Nitrogen out.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those wood chippings will be rotting down and adding good stuff to the soil, and I agree with @Donatello. I have wood chip mulch as well, and the soil is alive with worms as the chippings break down. Pull back and seed in the patches. The flower seed needs to go into the earth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The idea of woodchips tying up N2 when laid on the surface of the soil is overstated. The problem with laying woodchips and seeding (above or below the mulch) is that the woodchips may prevent the germination of the seeds.

I had this same problem with simply laying leaves as mulch. It prevented much of my Blanket flowers (Gaillardia pulchella) from germinating, but other flowers did and they overtook the area.

I'm correcting that this year by not mulching, but I am doing a lot of chop-and-drop of the plants in that area. That way they cover the soil with organic matter and they breakdown quicker.

P.S. If the woodchips are broken down enough, you may be able to throw the seeds down and the broken down chips will basically be like throwing the seeds on bare soil. I wouldn't worry about N2 being tied up, rather worry about the seeds making good contact with soil-like material.

Curiosity: What normally grows in this area? The road area where I grow flowers was simply grass, but I tore it up and then heavily mulched and allowed the "weeds" to grow and they built the soil, then I planted the Blanket flowers (Gaillardia pulchella) and other things. Weeds can do a lot of good to start building up soil.

I'll have to get some more pics, because I now have so many other varieties of plants here, but this is my road side yard I plant flowers, because I'm not going to eat any thing in this part of my yard (which actually belongs to the city).
DSCN2444 (2).JPG

Ask a Question