I can't keep lavender alive... help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Lavender farm across the street from me. this is a copy /paste from their web site of the ones they use. In zone 6 . seems to work for them.
At Windy Hill Farm (yes it is always windy) we produce several specialty crops.

First and foremost is the lavender. We grow several varieties including Grosso, Provance and Phenomenal. The Provance is our culinary lavender. Read more about our lavender in that section.

Reaction score
Country
Panama
It's not easy to grow lavender. My first advice would be to pick a variety that is suitable for your climate. There are 450 varieties including many hybrids, here is a list of some popular ones for you to see which one works: https://herbamedicine.com/type-of-lavender/
Most lavenders prefer mild winters and dry, hot summers. They also need a lot of sun since they are native to the Mediterranean, here is a guide on how to grow https://herbamedicine.com/grow-lavender/

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I've bought what I suspect is English lavender not once, not twice, but four times! And each time it has turned black and died like this (my 3rd plant)
View attachment 83014
I've read how they like gritty, well draining soil, little water and lots of sun, but no matter what, I can't keep them alive! This is my 4th and quite possibly my last lavender. It's turning black at the bottoms and I can't figure out why! It gets plenty of sun, and I bring it in during rain storms. Can anyone help identify the problem here? Thank you for your help!
View attachment 83015
View attachment 83016View attachment 83018
I'm thinking maybe it is not doing well because there is some sort of mold or pest or something in the pot/soil you are using. Have you tried using a new pot with new soil or growing the lavender in a completely new spot?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They need good drainage, as said above. I would start again in a fresh pot with plenty of drainage holes in the bottom, then mix the compost/soil 50:50 with grit. When you plant loosen the roots from the root ball and spread out in the pot; this reduces any problems with the compost from the grower holding water around the roots. Consider feet under the pot so any water can drain from under it.
My lavender grows well in a raised bed, in stoney, poor soil and a sunny spot.
Lavender comes from a Mediterranean climate, growing on stoney poorish hillsides, plenty of sun and heat, low humidity. Grows with plants like rosemary and thymes.
Select an English lavender as these are hardier than the French variety.

Ask a Question