Hydroponic woes

Reaction score
Country
United States
A couple of years ago my wife and I bought a Rise garden, the three tier, overpriced family garden I believe it is called.
After a myriad of control issues with the water sensor, flickering lights and pump it has finally been straightened out.
But my question is about tomatoes. Last year we grew two plants and they were perfect. We had a long season and probably got 700 or more cherry tomatoes from those two plants.
This year we decided to do it again.
We started the plants in November and now, both plants are full of tomatoes.
But in the last day we noticed wilting on both of the plants...it seemed like it came out of nowhere.
Part of the plant looks healthy but the wilt is increasing rapidly. A little online research said it could be a disease and some of the symptoms are roots that have turned brown.
I opened the tray and both plants now have brown roots....healthy but brown.
And I seem to recall that last year the roots were white until the very end when the plants stopped producing.
Am I going to lose these?
Is there anything I can do to fight this?
I noticed around the stem, right from the seed pod that there is now a white "mold like" substance growing under the label.
These plants are indoors in a very controlled environment, watered hydroponically and the proper nutrients were added...same as last year.
Is it possible I just got some bad seed pods? I don't know how else or where else this could have come from.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too much humidity maybe. I always find that these ideas for producing crops out of season are loaded with problems and cost a stupid amount of money.
As a general rule I think it is best to grow the right plants to suit the seasons in the soil in the garden. All we need is a few basic tools and some effort.... and a greenhouse maybe.
I don't think you should really expect to save these tomatoes now, and the best thing to do is burn the plants and sterilise the medium they are growing in, otherwise the mould is likely to stay there and infect future efforts.
I would tend to count the cost of the system and the resulting tomatoes you harvested last year, and then decide if the operation was cost worthy.
Sorry to be a misery, but I have to write what I think honestly.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
.. A little online research said it could be a disease and some of the symptoms are roots that have turned brown.
I opened the tray and both plants now have brown roots....
First, let me say welcome fellow Ozark Mountains grower. I grew up there and my grandparents raised a family of 18 via subsistence farming the Ozarks. Curious, where in general you are located?

Secondly, I'm not experienced with Rise garden or indoor hydroponically grown tomatoes...but have decades of experience growing tomatoes in my gardens.

Roots as you described could be indicative of underwatering in an outside garden...but not in a hydroponic garden. So, another possibility is corky root rot, a fungal disease that research has shown a reduced incidence of corky root disease with crop rotation and lower concentrations of NH4-N and higher concentrations of calcium in the soil.

Something to try.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tetters....thank you for your reply.
I see that you have an issue with hydroponic gardening...that's well and good.
FYI, I have done hydroponic gardening for several years with spectacular results.
Peppers, tomatoes and various herbs and flowering plants over the years with nearly 100% success.
I doubt the cost of the garden is a factor, but I see your prejudice.
At this point I have removed the plant with the issue and treated the water with hydrogen peroxide as recommended by hydroponic growers. I am hoping to see some positive results before too long or the remaining plant will be removed as well. I've had a couple of hobby greenhouses over the years also with great success. But I also had the time needed to maintain and care for them at the time, which I do not now.
Too much humidity maybe. I always find that these ideas for producing crops out of season are loaded with problems and cost a stupid amount of money.
As a general rule I think it is best to grow the right plants to suit the seasons in the soil in the garden. All we need is a few basic tools and some effort.... and a greenhouse maybe.
I don't think you should really expect to save these tomatoes now, and the best thing to do is burn the plants and sterilise the medium they are growing in, otherwise the mould is likely to stay there and infect future efforts.
I would tend to count the cost of the system and the resulting tomatoes you harvested last year, and then decide if the operation was cost worthy.
Sorry to be a misery, but I have to write what I think honestly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meadowlark, thank you as well.
I am South of Springfield, almost Arkansas.
I am between Branson West and Berryville Arkansas on the state line.
As I mentioned in my reply to Tetters, I am using a hydrogen peroxide treatment to my water tank as advised by hydroponic growers.
Time will tell.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tetters....thank you for your reply.
I see that you have an issue with hydroponic gardening...that's well and good.
FYI, I have done hydroponic gardening for several years with spectacular results.
Peppers, tomatoes and various herbs and flowering plants over the years with nearly 100% success.
I doubt the cost of the garden is a factor, but I see your prejudice.
At this point I have removed the plant with the issue and treated the water with hydrogen peroxide as recommended by hydroponic growers. I am hoping to see some positive results before too long or the remaining plant will be removed as well. I've had a couple of hobby greenhouses over the years also with great success. But I also had the time needed to maintain and care for them at the time, which I do not now.
I do wish you every success with your venture :)

Ask a Question