Hydrophobic soil/succulent

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any advice on rehydrating hydrophobic soil for succulents? I recently purchased a dried out jade and even after changing the soil twice and bottom watering for an hour at a time it doesn't seem to be taking water. Leaves are shriveled and dry, falling off. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

I would also water from the top at a slow drip overnight or place the container into a wheelbarrow or bathtub and have the water level almost to the top of the container. I have had this same problem with old dried out potting soil and compost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, I will give the soaking method a try. I've noticed in spite of the soil drying out some of the leaves are dropping when I bump the plant. Is this consistent with underwatering or am I possibly overwatering? It wasn't the healthiest plant when I bought it...I was hoping to be able to rehabilitate it. 16796251082193829435053320641904.jpg

Ask a Question