Help Identify Pests... Soil Mites?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I have have been trying to figure out which pests I have in some of my indoor plants. I'm hoping the answer is soil mites, and that they aren't actually bad for the plants, but I'd like to know for sure. Please see the link below to a video of them moving around in the soil (they are the tiny little whitish things moving around). I appreciate your time and any input you have.

Video of Pests

Here are some additional details...
  • I've had them for more than a year and haven't been successful in eradicating them with neem oil soil drenches (might have minimized them, but never fully eliminated the population).
  • They are very, very small, as you can hopefully see in the above video with a finger as a reference.
  • I don't see them on plants themselves, only in the soil. They are typically not visible on the surface of the soil, but they appear on top when I move the soil around or water it.
  • They don't seem to leave any other evidence behind (like spider mites would).
  • I don't think they fly, but I'm not sure I could see them if they were flying around.
Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They look like the sort of thing that lives in damp soil on the humus in the soil to me. I would expect them to be non damaging to plants, but if you are concerned you could try a one in four dilution of household peroxide to water with.

Ask a Question