Raised bed soil amendment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello, friends. We have five raised beds in our yard. We amended the soil heavily last year because the previous owners of our home never took care of the raised beds or the yard. Do I need to amend the soil again each spring prior to planting, aside from perhaps turning the soil and loosening it up from the compaction over the winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What did you amend it with and how much organic matter is in the soil? It is always good to add compost each year as it is very difficult for your soil to have too much. Products like Greensand or Azomite last a long time but decreasing amounts should be added every 2 or 3 years. Rock phosphate should only be added every 2 or 3 years for most acidic soils but if highly acidic more often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What did you amend it with and how much organic matter is in the soil?
We added some gardening soil (we don't have a compost pile yet), cow manure, and some other stuff, which I have TOTALLY forgotten the name of. It was recommended by our local nursery. It's an additive to the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bone meal and seaweed extract are not balanced fertilisers in the normal N-P-K range, but they contain a number of trace elements that can make a dramatic difference if they are missing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does your state have a state Farm bureau that tests the soil by a sample you send in. Not usually expensive ($7 here in Oklahoma) It could give you an insight into what is needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We don't ''amend our soil'' in the UK. We just chuck a bit of cow/horse muck in, well rotted, when we can get it. We use stuff like old mushroom compost and leaf mould as well as our own compost to sling on the top.
When my grandchildren from Australia visited, one of them said ''nanny I like your ''yard''. I told them it's a garden, not a yard :rolleyes:.. nanny and grandad had a yard behind their terrace house. It was situated just outside the scullery and there was a mangle in it to wring water out of the washing. There was also a ''lavvy'' a WC without flush with two seats - one for her and one for him!
When USA members talk about their yards this is the picture that flashes through my memory.
1679254039232.png
Here's a picture of a typical ''lavvy''

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, yard is certainly something different over here. My mate Gus used to have a yard he sold used cars and car parts from, a breaker's yard,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Does your state have a state Farm bureau that tests the soil by a sample you send in. Not usually expensive ($7 here in Oklahoma) It could give you an insight into what is needed.
Hi Don. We do have an organization that does soil testing. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Don. We do have an organization that does soil testing. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will.
There are two types of soil tests. One tells you what the content of the soil is. The other test tells you what is available for plant uptake. Most tests only tell you the content. I would ask before spending any money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are two types of soil tests. One tells you what the content of the soil is. The other test tells you what is available for plant uptake. Most tests only tell you the content. I would ask before spending any money.
Thanks. Good advice!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Farmers CO-OP sends it to Waypoint Analytical in Memphis. $20 for the complete test, minus the N test. Here is what the complete test looks like. One CO-OP told me the basic test (NPK only) is free if you buy the nutrients from them. Not sure if that is still valid or not. It takes a few weeks for the results and takes about a quart of dry soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Farmers CO-OP sends it to Waypoint Analytical in Memphis. $20 for the complete test, minus the N test. Here is what the complete test looks like. One CO-OP told me the basic test (NPK only) is free if you buy the nutrients from them. Not sure if that is still valid or not. It takes a few weeks for the results and takes about a quart of dry soil.
Thanks, Boss!! I'll look them up!!

Ask a Question