How can I deal with soil mites infesting household areas they shouldnt be in?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I understand soil mites are beneficial bugs for our plants. However, I don’t know how to control them when they keep wandering out of the soil and onto my household surfaces.

I don’t have any soil lying around outside of the planters, so I’m not sure what prompts them to wander like this. Could I please get some suggestions for how to control them? I’ve heard of spinosad but I don’t know what specific brand to look for. I also know that there are many different species of soil mites, so I’m not sure if any one miticide would necessarily work for all of them.
These mites have had me at my wit’s end many times in the past year. There was a time where I made peace with them, accepting that they would be always be around. However, there was one plant that began to rot and was soon swarmed with mites—inside and outside of the pot, everywhere on the bathroom counter it sat on, and down the sides of the counter as well. I found them on my toothbrush, on the a nasal spray nozzle, and on a hair spray bottle. Since then, I have also found them wandering on my dog’s food bin and a clothing dresser. Discovering these bugs on items/surfaces that I think are safe is the only thing that has ever pushed me to consider quitting the houseplant hobby altogether. I am so tired of finding them in places they simply shouldn’t be in. Any advice on reducing them is welcome.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is usually the larva that live in the soil, then when they hatch out you get the little flies. To kill off the larvae water with a diluted solution of household peroxide, not the stronger industrial stuff. From memory the proportion is about one part peroxide to four parts water. Yes, just checked on Google.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Can you post some pictures of them?
As far as Spinosad goes, pick a brand.... any brand. It's an active ingredient in lots of products.
If you're talking about Fungus Gnats, they love constantly moist soil so letting the top 1/2" or get dry to the touch usually keeps them down.

Ask a Question