How to take cuttings from everlasting pea lathyru. Latifolius,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It’s been a long time since I done lots of gardening after passing plant biology in 1954 ,long time ago ,been told the everlasting pea can be grafted as it is a perennial.,can you please help me on this ,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Robert peter dunford. At this time of year the everlasting pea will be drying out, and you should see some nice dry pods on it with lots of seeds inside!! I would sow some of those seeds if I were you - that's what we will be doing with ours. They grow easily from seed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Certainly, Everlasting Pea (Lathyrus latifolius), native to Europe and northwestern Africa is usually propagated from seed. However, Lathyrus latifolius can also be grown from cuttings, and it is possible to root stems in water. The same is true for the annual Sweet-pea (Lathyrus odoratus), though this shoud be done very early in its growth cycle so that there is time for the cuttings to develop into flowering plants.

The OP also mentions the possibility of grafting Lathyrus. While this is not a common procedure, it is possible. Indeed, there are even described examples of successful grafts made between Sweet-pea (Lathyrus odoratus) and the Garden Pea (Pisum sativum). These grafts were made as part of the methodology of a scientific experiment involving expression of hormones in plants.

Ask a Question