Will potted cuttings go dormant or grow inndoors during winter?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I took some cuttings from some plants I have and from family and friends. But i did it kind of late I guess, about a month ago for most of them. I just put them in pots today. My plan is to grow them near the window over winter.
But then the thought occurred to me, will they actually grow or will they go dormant. I have never grown anything indoors besides aloe vera.

The cuttings are varying colors of crepe myrtles, hydrangea, weeping willow trees, lilac, azalea, rose of sharon and Japanese snowbell. I also am curious about how much sun will they need. I have 2 windows that get a lot of sun, and 2 north facing windows I can use but just a small amount of light filters through until afternoon.
I put them in gallon containers because I figured their trees. But if they are not really going to grow much, maybe I should have put them In less space taking pots. I wish I had a green house.
My husband thinks i am nuts, but i am having fun with my little experiments. And it's sad not to have anything to watch grow during the colder months.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @Mrsjiffysweeper :) It would be best for your cuttings to be in smaller pots - say 7 - 9 cm across, to start off with, as they prefer this until their roots get bigger. It will probably get too warm in the house for them during the winter when the heating goes on.
Even if you have no greenhouse at the moment, maybe you could make up a cold frame to protect the plants for now..... just a few bricks or bits of timber arranged in the garden with a sheet of glass or polythene/plastic for a lid. Then you can open the frame on warmer days, and close it when it gets cold - and there is always some fleece for extra protection on severely cold days.
Good luck with them (y)

Ask a Question