How to properly grow blackberry stems from cuttings?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How do I properly grow blackberry stems from cuttings? There is a wild blackberry plant in my yard and I took a lot of cuttings in hopes of growing more plants. How do I ensure their growth without rooting hormone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've had terrible luck with cuttings of any kind. I have learned the thicker cuttings usually work better than the thin ones and the older (woody) growth seems to hold its moisture longer than new growth (green).

If that fails for you, you can tip root the vine and it is so easy but it might be too late this year, not sure.
Take the primocane (not sure if the flurocane works or not) and put it in a half gallon container of potting soil and secure the vine so it can't really move around and pull out. Don't cut the end off the vine, just stick it in the potting mix, leaf and all. Water regularly to keep the soil moist and in 3 weeks the tip has rooted. Cut the vine off the mother plant leaving a foot or so of vine and leaves. Thats it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I bury the growing tips of my plants and staple them down with a metal plant name plate usually, since I have so many. I would not consider doing that this time of year, but in the spring when growth is vigorous. The growth will not berry until the following year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How do I properly grow blackberry stems from cuttings? There is a wild blackberry plant in my yard and I took a lot of cuttings in hopes of growing more splants. How do I ensure their growth without rooting hormone?
We are beginner gardeners, so don't put too much stock in what I say. But for what it's worth, we tried to get cuttings from our blackberries a couple of years back. We read up on it, used every method we could find on the Internet, including using growth hormone. They all failed. The ones that we got 100% success with is popping down pots of compost and sticking the end of the new canes into them. Every one of them rooted and once the roots seemed nice and strong we cut them from the parent plant and planted them out. All are still going strong.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
We are beginner gardeners, so don't put too much stock in what I say.
If you will permit me, may I say respectively you can very safely and confidently remove that disclaimer. It no longer applies. ;)

The trick of "popping down pots of compost and sticking the end of the new canes into them" is one I frequently use on all kinds of plants/trees/etc. Even many experienced gardeners fail to do this.

Excellent....and forget the experience disclaimer. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do I properly grow blackberry stems from cuttings? There is a wild blackberry plant in my yard and I took a lot of cuttings in hopes of growing more plants. How do I ensure their growth without rooting hormone?
Easy, just let the birds eat some of the blackberries and poop the seeds out, you will end up with more blackberry plants than you can shake a stick at. Seriously I had the bright idea of planting a blackberry plant years ago which I got rid of quite soon, I am still now pulling up blackberry plants all these years latter. This is the wild English Blackberry plant, perhaps cultivated versions are not so bad. Also when the plant sends out shoots these can root just like strawberry plants do where they touch the ground. Also you have to remove every bit of the plant roots and all or it will just sprout back up again. You only have to go for a walk in the countryside here to see how rapidly they spread. In the space of two years I saw a large woodland clearing go from grass/small plants to a solid mass of Blackberries totally obscuring the ground and going up to chest height. I assume you have a different variety because of you location, here stopping them spread is a major problem.

Ask a Question