Growing strawberries in glass bottles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so I like to experiment alot, was wondering if anybody has grown any strawberry plants in a glass bottle before?

Or

Rooted their runners in glass bottles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If it don't drain it won't work. One might possibly root a plant in a wide mouth jar for a short period of time and remove it before the roots got to big and/or rotted because of no drainage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I thought I'd give it a go, with my strawberries I started with 2 plants, which changed to 5, but this year I moved them from the back to the front. All of them ended up getting fruit rot and brown spot, not all the fruit ls rotted but most of them did, I don't know why, so I chopped all the foliage and flowers, sprayed some fungus spray on them, none of the new growth show any sign of brown spot and 1 strawberry which is growing hasn't rot yet.

I was gonna throw them away but I noticed some stalks had 5 leaves, which is diff from the usual 3, I wanted to get a runner of these plants due to this.

Anyhow, I took 1 runner which had brown spot, threw it in the glass jar with water and left it on a sunny windowsill. 2 reasons I tried this was, if it does root, its easier than trying to find containers that will sit propally whilst the runner roots whilst attached to the mother. 2, I thought if it grows and produces can help eliminate any fungus issues occurring.

I changed the water a few times and added some fertilizer and then changed that for fresh water aswell.

3 weeks later here is the result
20220922_170548.jpg
20220922_170606.jpg

Ask a Question