How to propagate Camellia from cutting?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello everybody.
We just moved to new place and we have beautiful camellia in our garden.
I really want to propagate it and make hedge from it on our property but I know nothing about gardening.
I saw few videos about it, and I understand where and how I must cut it, but I have so many questions about it.
We are living in Netherlands and Camellia is about to bloom I guess in month or two, so i don't know if that is right time.
Other question is when i make cuttings and set them into pots, do i keep them inside of house on window, or i keep them in glass house outside, what temperature it needs to become beautiful plant?

I appreciate any tips and tricks because i am total noob, i never in my life had garden till now.

Tis is our Camellia, its is around 1m90cm meters high and 1m thick.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-10 at 1.28.35 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-10 at 1.28.35 PM.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 13
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-03-10 at 1.28.25 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-10 at 1.28.25 PM.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Spring would be a fine time to start Camellia stem cuttings. Cut stems to lengths of two nodes. Leaves should be removed from the lower node and left on the upper node. Sometimes half of the remaining leaves is cut off to reduce water loss, but this isn't always necessary. Dip the lower part of each cutting into rooting hormone. an plant in a porous, well-draining mix. You might use perlite, vermiculite, sand, potting soil, etc. Now put he cuttings in a bright indirect light and keep the warm and irrigated. A heating pad under the pots and frequent misting can bot sometimes improve results, though neither is always necessary. There are many ways to modify a propagation protocol, due to the conditions at hand.

Also consider layering, which works similar to cuttings, except the stem is kept attached to the plant during the rooting process. This can be more awkward to set up, but if done correctly can give very good results.

Ask a Question