How to propagate oxalis tetraphylla?

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Hello. I have oxalis tetraphylla, and currently, there are 5 bulbs in the place where the plant is planted. How can i increase the number of bulbs, so i can propagate the plant? How to make the bulbs to multiply? Will it automatically produce more bulbs? If yes, when will it happen? From where will the new bulbs come from?

Also, if i keep the plant in the right temperature, can this make the plant to not get yellow and dying leaves and to skip the dormancy period? If yes, for how many years it can live?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome @Plantium :) There are two ways to propagate this plant and it grows and spreads very quickly all on its own! You can dig it up and divide it, or collect the seeds and sow them. Division is the quickest way. If you leave it alone the bulbs will naturally increase.

The plant can live for a long time. As with all growing you need to be patient and wait for growth it will not happen overnight.
Lots of people find that this is very invasive and like to know how to get rid of it :cautious:

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
Welcome @Plantium :) There are two ways to propagate this plant and it grows and spreads very quickly all on its own! You can dig it up and divide it, or collect the seeds and sow them. Division is the quickest way. If you leave it alone the bulbs will naturally increase.

The plant can live for a long time. As with all growing you need to be patient and wait for growth it will not happen overnight.
Lots of people find that this is very invasive and like to know how to get rid of it :cautious:

Hello, @Tetters
Thank you for your reply.

What produces the new bulbs? Will the new bulb be produces by pre-existing bulbs, or will they be produced by the root?

Currently, i have 5 bulbs, and they are planted over the soil, not under the soil, and only the roots are under the soil. If the bulbs are over the soil, not under the soil, can new bulbs be still produced?

Also, how long does it take until new bulbs are produced?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All the bulbs and the roots must be under the soil. They will multiply all by themselves, just give them water from time to time.

Reaction score
Country
Belarus
All the bulbs and the roots must be under the soil. They will multiply all by themselves, just give them water from time to time.
Thanks for the answer. I put more soil, so i can cover all bulbs. :)

Ask a Question