How to prevent apricots from dropping each spring

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted an apricot tree 4 springs ago, and it's the only apricot tree in the yard; there are, however, two peach and a plum if that matters. The tree has grown from 5' to around 15' during this time, and there is always a lot of fruit throughout the tree. However, within a couple of months, there may be only 2 or 3 apricots remaining, as all the other fruit drops. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd love to have some fruit this year. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are different reasons for this to happen and not being there makes a definite answer impossible. First, is your tree self fertile? Many varieties are but some or not. Second is poor pollination and third is a mineral deficiency of some sort. How big are the fruits when they fall?What do you fertilize with and how often? Is your soil alkaline or acidic? Apricots DO NOT LIKE acidic soil and where are you located?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I don't recall the variety of tree, and I don't recall if it's self pollinating or not, but the fruits will get an inch long or so before they fall off. Our soil is alkaline - I live in the Oklahoma City area. The fertilizer is a time-released variety in a pouch, but I'm having a difficult time finding the package to tell you the actual name. I know I haven't given you much information to go on.

We do have two peach trees, and I'm not sure if the soil requirements are similar, but we have a lot of peaches.I probably knock off 3/4 of the peaches early on to keep them from breaking the branches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I don't recall the variety of tree, and I don't recall if it's self pollinating or not, but the fruits will get an inch long or so before they fall off. Our soil is alkaline - I live in the Oklahoma City area. The fertilizer is a time-released variety in a pouch, but I'm having a difficult time finding the package to tell you the actual name. I know I haven't given you much information to go on.

We do have two peach trees, and I'm not sure if the soil requirements are similar, but we have a lot of peaches.I probably knock off 3/4 of the peaches early on to keep them from breaking the branches.
Since your peaches are ok it probably isn't a pollination problem and if your soil is anything like mine (very alkaline) you may have a problem with the uptake of calcium and magnesium. Try this, it won't hurt anything and may solve the problem. For every inch of diameter of the trunk of the tree sprinkle 2 cups of epsom salt out to the drip line of the tree and water it in well. Do this about every 2 months

Ask a Question