How to keep front yard stuff from being stolen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
Oliver, why do you think that the problems Urban is facing is caused by youngsters?

Quite correct. They're not. They're overwhelmingly adults. Most kids here seem to be better behaved. I doubt better access or social programs are going to address most of the neighborhood problems. And judging from various sources online, it doesn't seem to be just a US problem. People are people the world over.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, an assumption on my part. Mindless local vandalism just didn't seem like an adult occupation. I am still inclined to think that locking people in cages does not improve their behaviour, and as you say you have to let them out sometime. Difficult.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's the rub, isn't it? Are you rehabbing or punishing or both? I can tell you that last year the city announced it would no longer be responding to a whole host of misdemeanors, including several assaults, burglaries (even WITH camera footage), criminal trespassing, etc. What happened? No policing, an angry populace that had no options and people openly talking about vigilantism and executing it. That is a MUCH bigger problem to me than setting boundaries, setting penalties, and paying a price for poor decisions. Additionally, there are thousands of not tens of thousands of outstanding warrants. Police only execute those warrants if they were certain types of violent crimes. The only other way you're going to be picked up for outstanding warrants is if you get pulled over or someone checks your ID. The odds are in your favor that you won't be checked. Years ago, if you drove on a suspended license or without insurance, you went to jail. Now they don't do that and the incidences of hit and run, repeat suspended license drivers, etc have increased in a huge way. Even when you are directly responsible for multiple accidents and even injury, and you're driving without a license or insurance, you're unlikely to go to jail.

And diversionary programs like drug and alcohol programs? All you have to do is tell the prosecutor that you want to be admitted and it will be a condition of your suspended sentence along with restitution (if any). What happens then? People don't show up for the programs and never make payments. Sure, they can issue new warrants, but they never get executed EVEN when they know where they live and where they work.

Ask me how I know all of this. I've had a heck of an education in the last 10 years but most especially in the last year or three. The general public is fed up. I'm not so happy myself. The above isn't a list of uncommon events...and not even just recollections by me or those around me. Neighbors, cops, judges, prosecutors, parole officers, and agency folks who handle all the warrants and programs will tell you the same thing. The only people who seem happy are the politicians who use it to whip up their bases while not making the tough choices to fix the issues.

YMMV.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought about moving to England? :)
Drive a car without tax or with something outstanding on it here and there is a good chance of a number plate recognition camera tipping off the police car a hundred yards up the road, get caught they take your car away and crush it, you walk home.
They are not so good on burglary, but you will get a crime number and usually a visit, and as most burglars are thick enough to work their local neighbourhood they are likely to get caught at some point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thought about moving to England? :)

:) Y'all definitely use camera technology more to your advantage than we do.

Drive a car without tax or with something outstanding on it here and there is a good chance of a number plate recognition camera tipping off the police car a hundred yards up the road, get caught they take your car away and crush it, you walk home.
They are not so good on burglary, but you will get a crime number and usually a visit, and as most burglars are thick enough to work their local neighbourhood they are likely to get caught at some point.

I love stupid criminals. That's as good as every so often in the US one will hold up a bank using a note written on the back of their own preprinted deposit slip.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A lot depends on what state you live in. Some states openly invite crime some strongly oppose it. Look at the DA in Los Angeles George Gascón. He is so pro-crime that even the crazies in LA are trying to recall him.

Ask a Question