How to keep front yard stuff from being stolen?

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a very odd thread, but we moved in a new neighborhood where there isn’t that many residents around. My neighbors has consecutively got their cars broke in, package stolen.

We had only one pathlight and one spot light in the front yard, and they managed to steal the bulb of my pathlight the other day that drives me mad. I gave up and moved the pathlight into the side behind the fence. They probably didn’t do anything with the other light because there are two cams in front of that window.

We have not do anything in the front so it were whatever it came with the house. We did plan to do that Once we saved enough money.

Is there anything I could do/plan to mitigate the risk? At this point I am not even sure if I could have basic stuff like rocks (in case it were used to break the window), stone stools, statues, containers... which is so sad.

thanks in advanced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you need a nice big fierce guard dog for a start. Can you take a picture of the garden, then we can see what other ideas we might come up with :)

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have cameras installed in the house and they managed to still...the problem was that spot has no window or power outlet for another camera and they did it right where the fence area was so they kind of sheltered by the fence. I am thinking of installing solar lights that area so the other cameras can pick up lights from that blind spot. Wireless outdoor cams are quite pricy and there is nothing inside justify that cost.

We did have garbage cans outside there which is not encouraged in case people climb in, but then our other bright left their trash can there too so I figured out it is useless even if I pulled mine in. If someone dared to climb in there are other stuff to welcome them (and let’s leave it at that).

There is currently absolutely nothing at the front save some plants on the ground.

I was planning to remove the plants on the ground and replaced with containers with drips due to springtail issue, and maybe add some status / garden flags out there to make it more personal that the kids can enjoy, but now I am not sure. What’s the point of doing all that work if people just grab stuff?

It’s one of those community that there is no divisor from your home to pedestrians walkway. Where the camera angle is pedestrian walkway, and that’s the house already. The pathlight were to the right of the garage where the backyard gate were. Thanks to them there is no more pathlight.

As for guard dogs it’s not quite possible aa one of my kids is allergic to pets. It probably also won’t help much. The last package pirate stole from my neighbor and they have a dog.

This is just very upsetting.

We planned to put boxwood hedges around the house before b it that’s out as they can hide there.

Attachments

• 0EDCD6B3-9CCC-4E52-852D-3200D42DE737.jpeg
    0EDCD6B3-9CCC-4E52-852D-3200D42DE737.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 79
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
We have wired outdoor cameras, quite cheap compared to wireless. Check into motion activated lights, made in regular as well as solar. Any movement and the lights are on.

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have wired outdoor cameras, quite cheap compared to wireless. Check into motion activated lights, made in regular as well as solar. Any movement and the lights are on.
Thanks for the input. I am getting the solar motion sensor light as starter for now. 1000 lumens should be able to be picked up by the other cameras. Will test that out for another 6 months to see if it deter the robbers. I guess we had a good run to fail at 11 months. Our other neighbors got their cars broke in after 4 months, even with the Arlo or Ring cams...

LGY

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. I am getting the solar motion sensor light as starter for now. 1000 lumens should be able to be picked up by the other cameras. Will test that out for another 6 months to see if it deter the robbers. I guess we had a good run to fail at 11 months. Our other neighbors got their cars broke in after 4 months, even with the Arlo or Ring cams...

Update: motion lights didn’t deter them. They hit again before the holiday. Another one of my neighbors car got broke in. We had the whole video showing how they broke into the car, then drive away... then come back again and take more... while I could not tell what they took in my neighbor’s work truck, the additional cams and light didn’t help :(. And yep all the dogs decided to sleep that night too and didn’t bark at all...
:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
I only keep one always on light and that's at the front of the house where the address number is. I spoke to a firefighter who told me it was a good idea for all emergency services. I don't want a bunch of lights always on anyway. We have fireflies. Anyway, we have an array of motion sensor lights...some hard wired, some solar. Now, if we see a light on, something tripped it and we go looking. Sometimes the triggers are from just opossums or raccoons. Other times, night creepers. Our neighbors also know about the motion sensors and to look if they see lights on. I sleep light and am vigilant anyway. I've caught a few...some in broad daylight. I must have a not so charming side. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I sympathize. When we lived in town people were always warning us that anything moveable in the yard would be taken. Nothing ever was. When we moved to the farm we were told not to leave any equipment out or it would be stolen. Nothing has been.
The sign on the gate that says, "My wife has a rifle and a short temper" may help!
I don't mean to make light of your predicament, but asking for more frequent police patrols, forming a neighborhood watch, or banding together with neighbors to stroll around the area at night might deter thefts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
All of those are in play. But you can't be there 24/7 and the same holds true with all the other folks. The best one can do is make things difficult, make responses unpleasant, and follow through when needed. Several communities stopped responding to anything short of violent crimes. Luckily, ours seems to have re-started response efforts. Now if the city prosecutors would just do their part...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1977 I lived in Brixton. The house was in a terrace and either side of me were two houses belonging to a group that looked after homeless teenagers from Jamaican families. The original garden wall was about four foot, brick and the previous tenant had fitted eight foot high wire fencing to it and let a bull terrier loose in the back garden, it was packed solid.
I got rid of the wire, dug it over, and discovered a U shaped path about nine inches below the surface, next morning there was a line of footprints across the new digging. I made a gap in the wall opposite the place where the bottom of the U crossed the bottom of the garden and used the bricks to make an access across the border. One of the boys came out while I was doing it and asked what was happening and I explained that of course people would nip across rather than walk round the front so I was making easy access to the path. Never had any more damage in the garden and was treated respectfully. I would dispute that the best thing you can do is make unpleasant responses, getting involved may seem tedious, but in the long run it can be very rewarding. Those who label the reaction to threats and violence as 'Respect' are mistaken.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
In the U.S.A. cameras are no deterrent because of the laws hands being tied by the judges and courts. If you don't think this is correct do some research about those who are caught and how much time they spend confined before they're on the street repeating what they were doing a few nights before.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's fairly clear deterrence doesn't work. Those young people who behave properly don't do so because of deterrence either, they come from families where they are valued and appreciated. It is a tough job running social programs with these kids, scouting, football training, boxing clubs, whatever, but it is valuing them and appreciating them in such settings rather than for being able to run faster and get away with more that will change behaviour, not hitting them harder and confining them longer, that just tells them they have no value, so why bother?

Ask a Question