Reason why green onion keeps falling over?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
For some reason, my green onion keeps falling over like in the pic. I see other people's green onions stand up straight. I wonder why mine keeps falling over? I don't have big wind or anything like that.

Attachments

• IMG_8993.jpg
    IMG_8993.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 254

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Got rabbits? Those look like they have been chewed on by a critter who also stepped on parts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Onions love water you need to give those plants more water!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I cut the other two leaves with a garden cutter so I think it looks like that. I've never seen any rabbit in my garden. I only have squirrels and lizard. Maybe lizard?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So you harvested two leaves? I would suggest you might have caught the third one by accident. Do you have any others for comparison

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Yeah, I harvested 2 leaves before. This 3rd one, it was straight up one day and the next day, it fell over like that. I lost one of the leaves like that before too. I just thought it was because of the wind. So this time was the 2nd time it fell over like that. I have one standing up right now, I will see if it will fall over like the other 2 leaves or I'll harvest it before that. I think I can harvest it when it's 5-6 inches tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Update: I checked today and I have 2 more leaves falling over. So there are 2 ways that I'm thinking of doing. First, I can put a net over the green onion to see if the leaves still fall over in case it's because of pests or just cut it when it's 5-6 inches tall.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps they have just reached the end of the growing season and naturally fall over. My proper onions fall over at the end of the growing period as the bulb swells and they prepare for winter.
Other alliums show similar behaviour, leaves falling over prior to flowering or entering a dormant state.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I grow a lot of onions...over 200 pounds this year so far. It is very common for some of the stems to fall over during the growing process. They should not be removed. Stems provide support for other stems in addition to being the catalyst for growing large bulbs.

Falling over can also be a sign of ready for harvest...but that's not the case for you.

Here's some pictures of my spring onion crop showing stems falling over during the growing cycle and then the eventual harvest. Repeat: do not remove those falling stems if you want bulbs.

onions 2020 a.JPG
onions 2020 b.JPG

onions 2020 c.JPG

onions storage 2020.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I'm growing green onions for the leaves and not bulbs. Right now I'm removing all the leaves that fall over and touch the ground. I just planted these last month 5/12. I also put some green onions indoor in a jar and fill it with water. The green onions indoor do not fall over and they are the same height as the ones outdoor but the ones outdoor fall over. I have no idea why

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have the same issue. Mine are untouched in a raised bed that is fenced. We did have alot of windy storms so I assume that caused em to "timberrrrrrrrrrrr".

Mine are not like the pictures though. These fell right at ground level.

Ask a Question