How to grow lemon grass (Cymbopogon) from seeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Hi! getting hard time growing lemon grass (Cymbopogon) from seeds.
cymb_03.jpg

Here temp will get 113 deg F in summer, now in spring its 82 deg F,
I have a sandy soil with less humus contain.

I bought some seeds from ebay, but it looks like more grass cutting less seeds(similar but much smaller than rice seeds)

I sow them 1/4 th inch deep into soil in paper pot with mustard seeds to raise the fertility of soil.
img 333 (3).jpg

these are mustard seed sprouts in above pic
10 days back I tried to do paper towel germination method
img 333 (5).jpg

but it didn't germinate

So what are the chances it will sprout, Please provide any helpful advice how to grow them from seeds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I have never grown lemon grass from seed or any other way, but it is a wonderful herb and am thinking i would like to try it also. Here is a utube video about how to grow lemon grass from seed or root cutting.

Do you know the seed seller you bought the seeds from on ebay? And is he or she a reliable seed seller? It could be that the seeds are not viable, maybe too old. Any way this utube video may help. Just consider the source of the seeds and maybe it is not you, but the seeds. Is the top photo lemon grass? And do you already have it growing? The utube video shows you how to propagate an existing plant. Also, if lemon grass is a perennial, it will likely not be a reliable germinator and/or may take a long time to germinate, but the person on the video says it is easy to grow from seed and how to do it. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
:)congratulations again(y)
How do one close the thread started by them, conclude it after finding answer.lan

I was having trouble with germinating lemongrass back then, which was solved.

Now, having trouble keeping alive my lotus plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
My cat loves lemon grass, I guess! Today morning, when I went to check my young lemon grass, I found top leaves are chopped.

I thought some insect must have ate it, but I found the leaves on the soil.

After sometimes I found my cat nibbling lawn grass that I planted in a pot. So, its true, cat loves lemon grass.

What do you think?

Ask a Question