Uses for fresh grown lemongrass?

Reaction score
I recently bought a lemongrass plant as an impulse buy, because I've heard that they're extremely easy to grow (and propagate), but I got home and realized that I have no idea what to do with it... I've heard of using it in tea and even in baths, but does anyone have any of their own personal favorite usage ideas to share?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
When you cook with it, the simplest method is to keep it a size you can handle, and remove and discard just before serving.

It's nice with fish, especially white fish, and thai dishes.

Reaction score
I like to take lemongrass, lemon basil, lemon pepper and any other lemon thing I have like lemon balm and lemon verbena and make a lemon basil creme sauce. It goes good on spagetti, but it's especially good sprinkled on stuffed mushrooms. I got the idea from a restaurant menu, took it home and made it vegan with coconut milk. I'm not vegan but I like the idea of cooking as much as I can without milk or cream. Tho I do love butter.

Reaction score
Lemongrass is a plant that can be drunk as a tea and a good flavoring of foods. It's known as a good remedy for a wide spectrum of common ailments. Lemongrass is not only good for making tea, but it can also be used to make extract essential oil, perfumery, insect repellent, and soap from the stem and leaves that obtains citronella oil. Lemongrass produces remarkable benefits and recent studies said it can help prevent certain types of cancer. :p

Reaction score
I use dried lemongrass, dried catnip and dried cedar leaves in a dog flea powder I make using corn starch, baking soda and arrowroot as the base. The lemongrass as well as all of the others are great at repelling bugs on them as well as the air, etc.

I can take this base of arrowroot, corn starch and baking soda and put any dried herb in it for anything for them just about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You can make some chicken eggrolls with the lemongrass and they will taste delicious and fresh. I have made them with this herb many times and my family loves them.

Reaction score
I really like lemon grass tea fresh from the garden. I just cut a bit of lemongrass stem into small pieces and let it sit in hot water for a few minutes. That zesty taste always invigorates my mind and body. I also use lemongrass in stir-fries and soups. There are endless possibilities to incorporate this wonderful herb into your meals and drinks.

Reaction score
I used lemon grass to make tea and my kids really love it; and i also use it when i am cooking my rice ...it gives a wonderful flavor and taste.

Reaction score
I'm waiting lemon grass seeds, and I would to sow them immediatly. I would like to put the single plant in a pot, because in winter I want to protect it from the cold. Can someone advise me about the pot dimensions?
Sorry for my English, I'm from Italy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
An interesting thing about lemongrass is its very commonly used in Jamaica and the Caribbeans. Its called fever grass there and its literally their go to thing for fevers and minor ailments.

Also, people just talk about the stems, the leaves are also great in tea (green and black). Cut them into thin pieces, steep them for 3-4 min before adding green or black tea.

Stems, lower parts of leaves + ginger pieces (fresh only) + honey makes a great invigorating tea

My Indian friends use leaves in their black tea with milk. Tastes great.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Google a Thai recipe with lemon grass in it. You could just dump them in your roasted potatoes, the aroma is heavenly. I don't grow them any more. They came out and smelt like lemongrass, but they were puny. We just don't have the heat and sunlight here to make it grow big and stalky.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
I use it to make tom yum paste.......
Also my mum uses it in her tea.......

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wish I knew these when I bought loads reduced to 7p. In the end, they went into slow cooker stews. The aroma was just incredible.

Ask a Question