How much money does growing your own produce save you?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I grew large amounts of vegetables to help off set the cost of feeding growing kids it was more important to me to have good food that did not have chemicals sprayed on them and the convenience of going to the garden picking what I wanted instead of getting in the car and driving to the store to pick pick up tomatoes or apples and other fruits that I had in my own garden. Also gardening is fun to me and gives me peace, so if I save a few dollars ok if I don't save a few dollars ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
To me its not about saving money, its about knowing what kind of chemical are used on them and also having them fresh when you want them, I only grow enough to eat and not wasted any thing. I plants some veggies just for seeds and don't use them for eating in time it will cost me nothing to grow veggies because they become free, the only veggie I but is my Cherry and early girl tomatoes, I don't have much luck growing tomatoes from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Personally, I don't think it saves you any money, that is why I do not do it. Many folks do not count their hourly time, as time invested in working the veggie garden. I buy my produce from Amish, which is cheap.

That's a good point you make about your time being money! I guess for me gardening is a bit of a hobby and I find it relaxing so I don't find it to be strenuous work. Sounds like you are already getting a good deal on your produce though which is wonderful! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
To me its not about saving money, its about knowing what kind of chemical are used on them and also having them fresh when you want them, I only grow enough to eat and not wasted any thing. I plants some veggies just for seeds and don't use them for eating in time it will cost me nothing to grow veggies because they become free, the only veggie I but is my Cherry and early girl tomatoes, I don't have much luck growing tomatoes from seed.

Yes! That's such a wonderful advantage of growing your own stuff. These days I think it's important to know things like what has been used on them. I don't use chemicals on the things I grow and prefer to use natural methods of deterring bugs/pests so it's nice to know that I'm consuming stuff that doesn't have any nasty pesticides or anything! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
It depends what you grow. I only grow items that I use a lot like tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and zucchini. Since I have an over bundence of these items I will use these and try to stay away from buying other veggies during the summer. The amount of veggies I purchase in the summer does go down a lot, I'm not sure the exact dollar value.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yes, I personally think that we can save a lot since we do not need to buy our much needed food supplies in the market because you can readily access these from your garden and the best thing is that they are all free because you grew them in the first place. Since we started our farm, we have saved about 30-40% from what we used to pay to buy food from outside. Starting and maintaining a garden can really help and it is very enjoyable too. Happy planting and again, more power to all of us.Keep them growing!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
My allotments save me approx. £1000 per year (approx. $1500), but that is not my motivation for g-y-o, it is healthy, free-from-chemical, tasty food.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
My allotments save me approx. £1000 per year (approx. $1500), but that is not my motivation for g-y-o, it is healthy, free-from-chemical, tasty food.
Definitely headfullofbees, I agree with you that having your own garden does not only secure good savings but also a healthy and chemical free lifestyle as well because you know where the food in your table came from and of course what things you applied to make them grow and prosper and this will definitely promote a better and healthy and good looking you. This is also why I encourage people to try farming or gardening on their own to have the benefits we just mentioned above. Thank you and more power to all of us.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, I always prefer to grow my own because I know that's it's being produced organically. In general I try to eat what's in season because the food is always fresher. Unfortunately I only garden during the summer so I'm forced to purchase produce during the fall, winter and spring seasons. I'll typically try to buy as much of it as possible from farmer markets.

Ask a Question