How many herb plants do you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
herbs... :love::love::love:

lemon balm, cat mint, oregano, thyme (3), sage, rosemary (4) Lavender (3) garlic chives, marjoram, marshmallow, feverfew, chamomile, comfrey, and I use my roses herbally too. I'll have to share some photos of my apothecary some time
I just noticed your tag that you are a herbalist. I was just looking at the things you grow, and I was thinking she must be an herbalist. That is quite a list, and I am sure they all have their purposes. Just for curiousity what is ferverfew used for? I would be curious about this.

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I just started gardening a few months ago but I think I may or may not be a bit obsessed over herbs... Right now I have 2 mints, 2 peppermints, basil, rosemary marjoram, cilantro, parsley, thyme, rue, lavander, chamolile, just started an oregano, also started more chamomile. I also have hierba santa or hoja santa, which I guess counts as a herb?
I love my thyme, it was basically a rescue, it was small and dry and kinda gray, now it is super bushy, with bigger leaves, super green and looks so healthy, i'm so happy I got it!

Last edited:

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I just noticed your tag that you are a herbalist. I was just looking at the things you grow, and I was thinking she must be an herbalist. That is quite a list, and I am sure they all have their purposes. Just for curiousity what is ferverfew used for? I would be curious about this.
It's my love :)
I actually use feverfew to reduce dry fevers... I also use it in headache tinctures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
I have a rosemary, 2 curly parsely, one flat leaf, sweet basil and a a new variety of organo that is very pretty.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
oh, they certainly do have lemon qualities and some scent of it because they each contain citronellal ... the same constituent that gives a lemon it's flavor and scent. You notice it even more when you distill them for hydrosol and essential oil... this makes lemon balm a very effective herb for a lot of uses ..I use my plants medicinally, and lemon balm is very important for an herbal garden because of its lemon like properties. :) it's very good for indigestion, nervousness, depression, and more.... try it in a tea!
Im going to look for lemon balm next time Im at the nursery. I love a good hot tea and abhorr pharma. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
Romania
I have a basil, a parsley and 2 mints. Also in my garden I have a lovage bush which is very common in my country. We use it very often in soups. I also plan to grow some lavender because I like it's smell and I use it to make little potpourri bags which I keep in my closets for a freshness.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
These pots look very pretty!:)
Do curly parsley and flat leaf parsley taste the same? I've only grown the latter.
thank you! i love those silly bent up looking pots! Too fun!
Flat leaf, as far as Ive known is used for cooking, and curly for decoration. Im not a good person to ask honestly, ive never used curly in recipes. It was a herb kit gift for me. I transplanted it when it outgrew its pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Flat leaf has more flavor, but curly parsley has culinary use, also. You have to use more to get the same flavor in a dish.
Once you've grown flat leaf (aka Italian parsley) you will want some in your herb bed to add to soups, marinades, stews, and torn up as a garnish for pasta dishes. I plant several (it germinates easily from seed) and freeze the chopped leaves to have in the off season. Since parsley is a cool season plant, we have a long off-season here in Texas!

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I have ginger, garlic, turmeric and holy basil in my garden. Growing ginger, garlic and turmeric is really easy. Just sow the pods in the fertile land during April-May and you can harvest it just in three months.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have one large rosemary plant which I have planted outside my house. I initially planted some as a decoration and to add to my culinary delights. Rosemary herbs are easy to maintain and don't require any input in terms of fertilizers or pesticides since they are chemically potent to ward off insects and other spoilers. They are sun loving plants. I plan to add some during the next rainy season to act as a fence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm currently growing oregano and basil. I have multiple basil plants but they're all in the same pot (large container so I figured I'd let them all grow). They take very little effort to maintain. The oregano is growing in the same container as my tomato plant and all it needs is water and occasional trimming. The basil is the same but has been a little more touchy. Our weather here has been pretty harsh so while my basil has grown fine, it's not as good as last year's growth. I'm considering moving the pot indoors but I'll have to read up on indoor herb gardening first.

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Today I added lemon balm to my herbs. Lets see how it does.
As far as the effort I put in to them it depends. Most of them are doing very well without to much from me, juat watering but my basil is another story. We actually killed two plants... The one I have right now is growing very big, however it needs just the right amount of sun the right amount of water and it is a delicate balance.
Rosemary, thyme and rue do very well without any effort from my part.
Lavander is doing better now that I left it alone.
My hierba santa is a favortite of the alphids and so it is a constant battle...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Rosemary is always a problem for me. I buy one plant, maybe two every year and put them in pots, but they seem to grow far slower then I need them for harvesting. I love cooking with Rosemary. How can I boost their growth?

Ask a Question