How many herb plants do you have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I was wondering how many herb plants you have and are able to maintain. How long would you say you spend maintaining them?

Reaction score
Not many, right now only mint, but in my house in the Netherlands we have some in the garden. I don't trust those to use them in the garden, because they are so close to the fence and the neighbors have children. I will grow my own herb container garden indoors :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not many, right now only mint, but in my house in the Netherlands we have some in the garden. I don't trust those to use them in the garden, because they are so close to the fence and the neighbors have children. I will grow my own herb container garden indoors :)

Ah yes, children can be a nuisance haha. I also think I will be growing herbs inside, but mainly because I don't have the garden space to grow them outside at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 2 oregano, 2 basil and a mint right now. Also because of where I live, I also have celatra basically always available, by default in my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have one big basil, lemon balm and lemon verbena. Also, a few weeks ago I planted my second basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, tarragon, mint, and coriandrum. They're sprouting:) My dream is to have an indoor herb garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one big basil, lemon balm and lemon verbena. Also, a few weeks ago I planted my second basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram, tarragon, mint, and coriandrum. They're sprouting:) My dream is to have an indoor herb garden.

Ahh an indoor herb garden sounds really cool! I didn't know there were so many types of lemon plant :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 5 sweet basil and I'm going to let one intentionally flower just to see it bloom. 3 Thai basil. 5 pinapple sage. And a chocolate mint.

I'm going to have a dehydrating party at the end of the season and hopefully never have to bug basil again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Ahh an indoor herb garden sounds really cool! I didn't know there were so many types of lemon plant :confused:
To be honest, I don't know why they're called lemon balm and lemon verbena. They're completely different plants and neither of them smells like lemon, lol:LOL:

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
herbs... :love::love::love:

lemon balm, cat mint, oregano, thyme (3), sage, rosemary (4) Lavender (3) garlic chives, marjoram, marshmallow, feverfew, chamomile, comfrey, and I use my roses herbally too. I'll have to share some photos of my apothecary some time

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
To be honest, I don't know why they're called lemon balm and lemon verbena. They're completely different plants and neither of them smells like lemon, lol:LOL:
oh, they certainly do have lemon qualities and some scent of it because they each contain citronellal ... the same constituent that gives a lemon it's flavor and scent. You notice it even more when you distill them for hydrosol and essential oil... this makes lemon balm a very effective herb for a lot of uses ..I use my plants medicinally, and lemon balm is very important for an herbal garden because of its lemon like properties. :) it's very good for indigestion, nervousness, depression, and more.... try it in a tea!

cschiavoni

Caitlin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Five;

Sweet basil, Thai basil, rosemary, spicy oregano, & chocolate mint.

First ever gardening attempt in my life, all baby plants right now. Have already eaten some of that chocolate mint though. It's delicious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The only real herb that we have is mint. It is very prolific so we had to clean the planter box where it is planted otherwise it will be a forest. But there are other plants that we also consider herbs like the banaba tree which leaves can be cooked into tea as a diuretic. The sambong plant has leaves good for breaking kidney stones. There's also lemon grass that eradicates cholesterol. Another is the tawa-tawa, native to tropical countries, that heals dengue patients. And a cure for arthritis is the pancit-pancitan that is also a wild herb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
oh, they certainly do have lemon qualities and some scent of it because they each contain citronellal ... the same constituent that gives a lemon it's flavor and scent. You notice it even more when you distill them for hydrosol and essential oil... this makes lemon balm a very effective herb for a lot of uses ..I use my plants medicinally, and lemon balm is very important for an herbal garden because of its lemon like properties. :) it's very good for indigestion, nervousness, depression, and more.... try it in a tea!
That's interesting!
I often drink lemon balm tea and I think it's great, but to me it really doesn't smell like lemon;) Same goes for lemon verbena.
In Polish, they don't have similar names.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't have any right now...but i have grown basil in the past. I would like to grow some this summer as I have some hanging pots, that I would like to utilize for the herbs. I am not putting in a garden this year but herbs are always good to grow as are tomatoes. Being able to have fresh herbs always at the ready is always a treat, and if I could grow some that would be great. I would really take advantage of this. One caveat I have tried growing them in the garden before and I was having trouble distinguishing the basil from the weeds!

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
That's interesting!
I often drink lemon balm tea and I think it's great, but to me it really doesn't smell like lemon;) Same goes for lemon verbena.
In Polish, they don't have similar names.
hahaha!! I don't notice it in lemon verbena much either! There are other properties going on that make it very "herby" and green. :)

Ask a Question